Suicides "leap" in Japan

rod

Josh Sugarman and his "Violence Policy Center" claims that the real reason we need to ban guns is not because of firearms homicides but because the presence of firearms cause suicide. Here's a little word from the gun-free utopian land of the lotus blossom on the suicide situtation over there.

=rod=

The Advertiser-Adelaide
3 July 1999
Page 51
Suicide surge in Japan
By Joseph Coleman in Tokyo

Crushed by money trouble or devastating illnesses, Japanese are killing
themselves in record numbers, the Government said yesterday, reporting a
dramatic 35 per cent surge in suicides in 1998. A record high of nearly
33,000 people killed themselves last year, the National Policy Agency
said, with a marked increase in the number of middle-aged people taking
their lives. The country's economic troubles seemed to play a major factor
in the increase. Japan is grappling with its deepest recession in 50
years, and middle-aged workers are paying the price in salary cuts and
layoffs.

The spread of suicide also comes at a time of growing unease in
Japanese society in general. Crime, divorce and dissatisfaction with
systems such as education are all rising. The number of suicides in 1998
hit 32,863, a 34.7 per cent increase over the previous year and the
highest since the government started tracking it in 1947. It was also the
first time suicides had topped 30,000 in Japan, the agency said. Last year
also set a record for the highest suicide rate: 26.0 suicides per 100,000
population - a dramatic increase from a rate of just below 16 in the late
-1960's. "middle-aged salary men just can't cope with the current
situation," Hiroshi Kawahito, a lawyer who works on such cases, was quoted
as saying by Nihon keizai newspaper yesterday. "A social framework to
support them is urgently needed." The startling numbers were top news in
Japan, despite a deeply ingrained tradition that has long regarded suicide
as an honorable way to atone for failure and show remorse. Even before the
announcement yesterday, the spread of suicides linked to overwork or
painful corporate restructuring because of the recession had been causing
mounting concern. The Health and Welfare Ministry made a similar report
earlier this year, with similar numbers. In one case last year, three
businessmen rented out rooms at the same hotel, shared a final drink and
hanged themselves. Earlier this year a tyre company worker who felt
pressured into early retirement stabbed himself to death in the company
president's suite. The trend has bought a spate of lawsuits. In March, a
court ruled that a company employee was driven to suicide by overwork and
ordered the Government to compensate his family.

Attention municipal firearms plaintiff attorneys! Following your success (hopefully meager) here in the U.S., you can then proceed to Japan to sue the knife manufacturers!

Who NEEDS an assault knife, anyway? Or (shudder), a ... sword? ;)

I wish Capitol Hill was more like Japan...

------------------
Every man Dies.
Not Every Man Truely Lives...

FREEDOM!

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

I hear ya, Kodiac... but there's one flaw:

In March, a court ruled that a company employee was driven to suicide by overwork

Well, hell, there goes that idea. Government employees and overwork are diametrically opposed concepts.

We must band together to eliminate this scourge that is ravaging our nation. We must ban all tall buildings or other structures that are high enough to kill oneself, for the children! We may also examine banning sharp sticks and the like.

Maybe it's just in the water over there. When I was in Okinawa, we had a 4 month period when there was a suicide about every other week. One guy told his CO, "If you make me go to Okinawa, I'm going to kill myself!" Much to his credit, the CO didn't allow this Marine to threaten him into making exceptions. Sure enough, the first thing that Marine did when he got to their camp was to find a tall building and jump.

Cute Kodiac. I would not shed a tear if some of our politicos did a ginsu on themselves. Perhaps we should send them Kbars for Xmas?

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Coinneach. With deep regret, I must take exception to your comment about government employees. I know how you feel, because I have run into some pretty bureaucratic sons of B's myself.
BUT! I worked for the National Weather Service for 33 years. I or one of my colleagues was the one that that gave you the info when you needed it. We wrote up the warnings when you were under the threat of severe weather. If you needed info on another area, or planned a trip and needed a forecast, we were the ones who gave it to you. We are the ones working rotating shift work that is deletrious to our health. We are, the ones who give up weekends and holidays with our families, so as to provide you and yours a continuous weather watch in order to bring you warnings when necessary in a timely manner.
We weren't always successful in the past, nor will we be 100 percent in the future, but we try. We try to give good service, even when we get the "you damned government employees" crap by persons hiding in the anonimity of the telephone.
I've been retired a little over two years now, and it still bugs me when I hear that.
I also worked for the Post Office for 2 1/2 years. I quit because I was close to going postal. I empathize with those who do, cuz I been there, and done that.
We had that type of B.S. in the Weather Service too. For those that have never worked for "Uncle", it is almost exactly like being in the military. You don't take vacations, you take annual leave. Late for work, or don't show up, you're A.W.O.L.
Your supervisors, depending on their level, are just like sargents in the army.
So you get it from the outside (public) and from the dipsh*ts above you. And you? You're just like a poor buck private, with nothing to say except yes sir, no sir and no excuse sir, or go postal.
When a government employee gets bureaucratic with you, try to remember that he not only gets it from both sides, but usually has to go along with regulations set up by some GS-16 up above who had to justify his existance to some regional director.
Coinneach. Please don't take this as a flame. It is not intended as such. Please accept my apologies if you thought it as such.
Paul B.

haven't yet hunted for Sugarman's site, but I plan to. I suggest that if you know it, post him a message to check the CDC's numbers on suicides in the US: In 1996, it was roughly 30,000.

So, with guns, we have less than half the per-capita suicide rate than Japan without guns.

Note that numerous clinical studies by psych-types fairly conclusively establish that suiciders:

1. Tend to continue their efforts until successful. If rescued from the first attempt, they'll try again. The exception seems to be the first-time wrist-slicer. This crippling but rarely-fatal method more typically is a cry for help.

2. Tend to go to Method B if Method A is precluded by others or is non-functional. No gun? Use poison, rope, razor, automobile...

It will probably be a waste of time to point this out to Mr. Sugarman, but at least it shows we're knowledgeable and compassionate and care about the problem...

Back