Suggestions

jamesfross1

Inactive
I am getting a bit older and the cool higher power/ caliber revolvers are a bit tough on the bones and muscles. I want a decent carry revolver to supplement or upgrade from a Ruger LCPII. But I have shot the S+W airweights and find that the recoil might be a bit more than I am comfortable with. I have looked at some Taurus 357 snubbies but the whole Taurus reliability thing concerns me. Same concerns about new Charter Arms. Now, I will reload my own ammo so I can load down on 38 special. I have also thought about the .327 variants but am concerned about difficulties in getting brass and bullets. Are there any viable and not excessively expensive (@$400 ish) suggestions out there? Thanks. I can shoot the LCPII at 21 feet and stay within a post-it note but the possibility of an occasional jam pushes me back to revolvers. I really don't want a 24 oz thing to lug around in my pocket if I can help it.

I had a Ruger SP101, 2 1/4" barrel chambered in .357. Loved it, left it with the ex-wife and could kick myself. If you are getting to the point of muscle ache etc getting bothersome, the .357 is pretty snappy coming out of it and even though .327 is not as available, I think it would be a perfect chambering for it.
Carry's great IWB and will work for the pocket in a pinch but it does weigh 25oz, which is about 8oz heavier than say a LCR but for true pocket carry revolvers like a LCR chambered in .357, no sir, not for me, i'd rather shoot my .44mag with a broken wrist.

Last edited:
The S&W Airweights (642/442 in .38 Special) weigh about 15-oz empty. If you are loading your own ammo, you should be able to find a power level that works without hurting your hand.

I am considering 38 special loads staring with 148 grain wad cutter bullets and 2.7-2.0 grains of unique. It will come out at 600-650 fps. I read the revolver thread about QC issues with Taurus and Rossi. Sad news. Just need to find a 442 in my price range.

If you look at some of my other posts I am a recent fan of Charter Arms and the folks there. I wouldn't rule them out based what some have said because for every negative post you will find a positive. If you are concerned with them or their products I would just call them and ask them about it. When I was their Monday I seen the owner talking with people on the phone answering questions they had. This is the same person who gave both my wife and I a tour of their facuility during our first visit. He is good person as so is everyone I have met there. Haven't posted about our second visit yet but will sooner or later.

See what other outfit would do that.

I posted about our first visit here if interested:
https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587583

A number of professionals argue to carry wadcutters in the snubbies as they seem to be effective and have less of a recoil ouch.

There are the 32 HR Mag/327 guns. Ruger is the best current in production and you can carry them with 32 Long Hollow points, up to some pretty zippy 327s. The 32 HR mag rounds are not that bad and you get six shots.

Haven't much experience with the Charter 38s but saw a new one make it through an intensive snubby class just fine.

Well, you already reload so if you LIKE the .327 mag, or think you might, go ahead and get it. Then 'invest' (much better word than 'buy' if you're playing mind games) in a thousand .327 mag cases and a couple thousand bullets and you're set with something you like.

Good luck.

P.S. I've never shot a .327 mag...got to put that on my list.

Back