Suggestions on S&W Factory Refinish

JRiggs

Hello,

I have a S&W revolver which is starting to get a rough finish. It has considerable holster wear and a couple of small pitt spots from its careless previous owner.

Anyway, I have made the decision to send it to S&W for a refinish. They told me they could either reblue or nickel plate it, both at the same cost. I am fond of the blued finish, but would the minor pitt spots I mentioned still show? Would nickel be a better option? Thanks for any input.

The pits should be buffed out in the polishing process prior to bluing. If you like blued guns, go with bluing. If nickle floats your boat, then............

As Clemson said, small pitts will buff out prior to refinishing. A couple of years ago I had S&W refinish a mid-1960s N-frame (blue) that had seen some serious finish wear, hand engraving on the sideplate, and a touch of neglect. The gun came back pretty much like the day it left the factory. S&W Service did an excellent job, and with a reasonable turnaround time.

S&W refinish price

If you don't mind saying, what model/bbl length revolver do you have, and what did did they quote as the price?

Hi Hutch,

I almost didnt buy it because it was a little overpriced for the finish condition, but I bought a model 27-2 .357 with a 3 1/2 inch barrel, made in the late 60's. The gun is as tight as new, it was just stored in a holster and it did a number on the finish in a few areas. S&W will strip and reblue for $166.00. I may be able to get it cheaper elsewhere, but I just feel that since its a classic S&W gun, I would like the factory to do it. I know it really makes no difference, I guess its just a personal taste. This is the exact configuration I've been looking for in a revolver for years, and Im just willing to dump the money into I guess. I think when all is said and done, I'll have one heck of a nice revolver to pass down through the generations someday.

A couple of years ago I sent Smith a very ratty M-57 and had them refinish it in nickel, I like nickel Smiths. It came back looking like new. They also fixes some internal parts and I think it was $180.00. I was most pleased!

Thanks for the info, JRiggs. I have a GREAT trigger on a VERY VERY UGLY Model 15, .38 Combat Masterpiece. I'm afraid if I send it in, they (S&W) will return the trigger to factory specs. I guess I'll just keep it as is. Wanted to get a feel for cost, tho'. Thanks again.

I just got a Security Six back from Ruger that went in with a very light trigger and came back the same. I asked that they not touch it and I dont think they did. When I sent my Smith in for refinishing, someone called to tell me what it needed, the cost, time etc. and we discussed the work they would do. I think you could request that they not alter your trigger.

Back