Suggestions on carry pistol while hunting

I am looking for suggestions or info from experience on carrying while hunting.

With a CC I can while hunting. I will be carrying a glock 45 or a Smith 357Mag wheel gun 3.5inch barrel.

I hunt from a climbing tree stant that I pack in so while walking a waist holster is out of the question. I was considering a sholder rig but was not sure. Was thinking that I would use a condura holster with a thumb snap and carry on a sholder strap of the backpack or on the waist belt.

Hopefully Some of you out there have already tried mot everything I could think of and know the plusses and minuses.

Why not benifit from your experience rather than me stumbling through senerios that will not work.

I carry a Ruger Bisley Vaquero 4 5/8 barrel, in .45 Colt. I use a full flap, cross draw holster. The main reason I carry it is for the times when I go pushing through extremely dense cover. I will leave the rifle behind, and carry the Ruger into the thickets. The other time the Ruger is handy, is when sitting on a tree stand. I can use the pistol to reach around to the far right and behind me. I took a nice 6 point some years back like that. I could not turn far enough to the right with the rifle, so I used the Ruger to shoot the buck as he walked just under, and behind the treestand.

Never have, really. About the only time I've carried a pistol is when doing cross-country shotgun hunting for blue quail. I carry a RedHawk in case I'm attacked by an angry buck. :)

Art

I carry a 9.5" Ruger SRH 480 in a soft bandoleer shoulder ring. It works well as I have both hands available if I really want to carry something like a stand or sometimes a small day pack with rain gear. I also sometimes use a Model 57 8 3/8" S&W in the same manner in a leather shoulder rig that was semi-custom. Works well, but I don't have quite the adjustment room with heavy clothes on with that holster. I have been known to carry a rifle in a sling over my shoulder as well, but that doesn't work well.... you have to choose your ONE weapon and stick with it. Both rifle and handgun really slow you down with either firearm whether you are in a stand or still hunting.

I generally carry the revolver cradled just like a rifle with my hand on the stock in ready position without a lot of movement if I am still hunting or simply walking to my stand.

I wouldn't call either of these "carry" handguns as they are the primary firearm and not some backup.

Usually if carrying a rifle I carry a S&W 19 4 in. in a cross draw holster. However 99% of the time I hunt only with a handgun in which case I carry a Raging Bull in 454 Cassull with a nylon sholder holster. This arrangement works very well when packing in a stand or other equipment.

I like to carry a hunting sidearm in a shoulder holster.

El Paso Saddlery Company makes an excellent version of the M3 military shoulder holster. It is not a concealment rig (they make those as well) but bears the weight of a heavy handgun quite well, keeps it out of the way of other gear, and protects it from the elements when worn beneath a jacket .

The leather is top quality and the workmanship is top notch. Their version is fully lined to protect the finish of a fine firearm, and you can have you choice of plain, basket stamped, or flower carved. A plain holster may be ordered with "US," "USMC," "CS," or Texas Star stamped on the outside. Not cheap, but you won't be replacing it every third year, and the leather just keeps on mellowing with age.

Go to:
http://www.epsaddlery.com/military.html
and click on the "1942" model.

Best,
Johnny

If you're looking for a little less "oomph", the Ruger GP 100 .357 is extremely durable and reliable.

I've taken the other option and left my rifle at home. For the last several years have hunted deer and wild hogs with S&W M629 Classic revolver, .44 Mag, 6.5" barrel, 2X Leupold EER scope. Out to 100 yds, the rifle is not necessary and the pistol has done the job. Carry it in a shoulder holster that I designed and made. My leather work won't put Lou Alessi out of business but it looks good and works well. The pistol is MUCH lighter and easier to carry than a rifle also.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

I carried my sig 229 for years and even took a deer with it once.

I hunt with a lever action 44, so I started carrying my Ruger blackhawk for a while.

Then I realized I was carrying a 2# chunk of iron...for what i'm not sure.

So now I carry my Ruger Mk1. I can shoot it very well, and its fun to baqng cans and squirrels. Not much for PD, but for euthenizing game its ok.

I carry a 4" GP100 on a belt holster, even when I have a backpack or stand strapped to my shoulders. I bet a crossdraw holster would work well and stay out of the way too.

Then I realized I was carrying a 2# chunk of iron...for what i'm not sure.
I carry a sidearm for those times when I have to put the rifle down.

Example: Once, while at camp, I had put my rifle down, then wondered several yards away to tend the fire when I saw a deer come out of the woods near camp. It paused for a bit, then continued on it's way. It had been pushed out of the woods by other hunters in my group coming back to camp as well. The rifle was too far away to get to it in time, but a magnum handgun on my hip would've resulted in a dead deer.

Chris

I like to carry a Glock 17 with a good holster. I think the Uncle Mikes work just fine but you are not going to find a Uncle Mikes for a 21. I guess you are talking about the 21 when you said 45?

I also take my Black Hawk in 45 colt from time to time with a good thumb break holster. What ever holster you go with make sure the trigger is covered by the holster and the trigger is not exposed. I like the suggestion Johnny Guest made.

I usually carry a S&W 686 4" in an Uncle Mike's Sidekick shoulder holster. Then I got drawn for elk, and decided to carry my 6" Model 57 .41 magnum in a Bianchi Cyclone cross draw rig.

Kept that .41 during deer season down south (really overkill for a Coues Deer), and took a slide for 20' on some really bad loose rock on the side of a steep hill. Scratched the hell out of my Guy Hogue's!!!!

Think I'll stick with the .357 from now on. They sport rubber Pachmayer's.

For my purposes, the scandium Smith 329 .44 mag is as good as it gets; perfect for short-range hunting as it is, it also allows you to vary its effectiveness from .44 special mild to .44 mag ferocious by simply changing out the ammo. And at a light-weight 26 oz, unloaded, you will forget you even have it with you.

Boarhunter

Back