Suggestions for .44 mag defence loads?

Winston

Any suggestions for .44mag defensive loads? This would be for
a 4" 629 S&W

Does anyone have any opinion on Garrett's new 255 grn self
defence load?

Thanks

Why don't you load up some of Garrett's 310-gr. Hammerhead rounds. If you had to use them you could just line the bad guys up in a row and shoot them all at once with one shot.

Hydra-Shok

www.federalcartridge.com/andex2.html
240 gr@
1180 fps rating from a 6 1/2" barrel. Should do 1000 fps from a 4". Has a lot of promise.

(Funny isn't it how the .45acp Hydra-Shok w/230 gr 850 fps draws rave comments, but add another 10 gr and 150fps or so to the pretty much same caliber (.429 vs .451 isn't all that much difference) and all of a sudden it shoots through schools and has a recoil that knocks you back 10 feet?)

Generally, for HD use, I use the old Remington mid range *police* load. It's a cast lead 240 gr hollow point rated at 1000 fps from a 4" barrel. My precious supply of it is almost gone, and when it is, I guess i'll try the Hydra-Shok.

The Garrett round looks like a winner too, IMNSHO. My only hesitation would be that I can't run down to the local store and buy it.

When my 629 classic was my only means of protection I carried Glaser Safety Slugs in .44 Special.With these I did not worry about over penetration. Since then I got rid of the Smith and now use a .40 Star.

If you pay close attention to the dirty harry movies, you hear him give it up...We can all remember him touting it as "The most powerful handgun in the world" but how many of you remember him to go on to say..."I load it with 44 specials, so I can shoot faster"...:D

The Silvertips don't kick too bad, and expand pretty violently in all the informal tests that we have done. I would probably load them for out in the world carry ammo, and load CCI/Blazer 200 Gold Dot .44 Special for in the house (good solid .45acp power levels here).

Another suggestion would be to check out Proload's Tactical Lite load; a 200 Gold Dot at 1050 fps. I have not shot any of if yet, but it sounds good.

http://www.proload.com/specifications.htm

I like the gold dots there Uni-Cor® electrochemical process has me sold. Check out there web site posted below.

Tony
expanded.jpg

http://www.speer-bullets.com/gdframe.html

Gold Dots

I load 200g Speer Gold Dots in magnum cases with moderate charges, little hotter then 44spcl loads. Georgia Arms sells these bullets loaded in 44spcl. Of course I always have a speedloader or two with full house 240g XTP's over H110.

I'd shoot 44 special and look for the lightest recoil I could find if that's the only pistol you're planning to use. IMHO, 44 mag is just way "over kill" (pun intended) for self defense.

give some thought to corbon

The have a 165 jhp that does the claimed 1300 fps from my mountain gun. Haven't shot them into expansion medium but all the other loads from this factory I,ve shot have expanded very well. the load turned in a 1.9" five shot group for me at 25 yards.

You might consider the so cslled "Dutch" or "Swiss" loading technique in which you put two different cartridges in the cylinder, A friend who relies on a four inch Model 629 and is concerned about possible over penetration because he lives in an apartment loads four Winchester .44 Special Silver Tips and two .Winchester Silver Tip 44 Magnums and indexes his cylinder so that the .44 Specials are the first shots fired. The low recoil of the .44 Specials give him four very fast shots. If he has not put his attacker down he thinks that he is probably on PCP or some other drug making him hard to stop. THe two .44 Magnums should take care of that.

For normal use I would suggest the 44 special CCI-Speer Blazer's with the 200 GDHP. Or if you want a bit more load it to +P levels in 44 special brass (1050 fps or so).

For special situations. Such as high threat times or if carried as back up to a 9mm, 40, or 45 I would suggest the 44 mag 210 Win Silvertip or the 44 mag 180 Fed JHP.

I think Garrett's 255 WFN or Buffalo Bores similar load are excellent ideas for hiking in the lower 48. Plenty of penetration and slap for defense against people, dogs, or bears. With my 4" 629 I normally keep it loaded with Speer's 200 Blazers but usually keep one speedloader filled with Federal's 300 grain Castcore, a LBT LFN in disguise, just in case. When I get around to ordering some of the 255 WFN's I will probably start using those instead of the Castcores.

As to the 44 mag being overkill that is a matter of opinion. Some people actually carry & use 44 mags in real life. Not a lot of people I'll admit.

A BIG thumbs down for .44SPL SilverTips as I clocked them out of my 4 inch S&W M629 Mtn gun at 750fps and 705 out of the 3 inch 629 V-Comp. There are many better loads and at the moment I have .44MAG from PMC Eldorado Starfires which are 240grn HPs. They run 1310 from a M29 6 1/2 inch and have perfect accuracy in my 3 house guns.best-dewey

I'm a big fan of PROLOAD's .44 defense ammo, both in .44 Special and Mag. Hollowpoints you can flick your ash into!.

I've fired both, and the recoil is wonderfully controllable.

Bowser.

go to www.proload.com for more info

ProLoad's Tactical Lite, 200 gr GD at 1050cfps. Controllable using a projectile designed for the .44 Special. Makes for tactically significant follow-up shots. But really, I'd rather have a 1911 or G21 in .45 ACP.

My 2 cents:

Out of house carry, I use 44 special loads.

In house it's kept loaded with 44 mag.

Reasoning:
I've only carried my 44mag off premises a couple times. 99.8% of the time(like when I ran out of supplies while cleaning it), I carry a 357mag SP101. The 44 mag WILL have over-penetration problems on most 2 legged predators that aren't wearing body armor, and double taps are impossible. On the street that can be a serious problem. 44 special packs plenty of punch, MUCH faster follow-up shots if required.

My home has exterior brick and I live alone, so over-penetration is a non-issue.(However, given the choice I'll get my shotgun over my 44 any day for in home defense.)

Back