• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

suggestion to improve system speed

RWK

Oh High Administrators and Systems Gurus,

Here's a possible idea to improve TFL processing speed. Using "Today's Active Topics" (TAT) is designed to improve timely thread access. However, since TAT provides all current topics, it may not be used as much as it would be with a hopefully simple change. If a member could tailor his TAT selection to only forums of interest, I suspect we'd get: (1) far greater use of TAT, (2) an overall reduction in system demand, and (3) a concomitant increase is system responsiveness.

[This message has been edited by RWK (edited September 21, 2000).]

RWK-
I agree. It's a good idea. However, we didn't write the software; we only license it. What you're suggesting requires a rather substantive "hack" of that software....and subsequent hack and tweak of the upgrades provided about every 60 days. Although we have the right to alter the code, UBB is a very delicate little monster. I'm afraid it's out of the question.

For myself, I've found this server to be lightning fast. Certainly faster than any other we've been on since inception. Is it just me?
Rich

Rich, George and Company:

I agree this server is faster, although I have experienced occasional delays (may not be our TFL server, however).

My only thought was to increase systems efficiency, by decreasing aggregate traffic volume, without adversely influencing member service. I am not surprised that software complications make this another "good -- but too hard -- idea".

I'll keep suggesting on the off chance we uncover a worthy idea that can actually be implemented without screwing the software up.

Best regards -- Roy

[This message has been edited by RWK (edited September 21, 2000).]

Great. We have a fast server.

But my ISP passes things along with the speed of a one-handed sculptor using toothpicks to etch words into granite.

Grrrr. :mad:

And we only have ONE ISP here in the backwoods - all others would be long distance.

Can't wait for more info on satellite comms. :)

Forest Grump

Dennis, I will be able to give you first hand info on whether DirecPC works as advertised in about 2 weeks. We are moving to the boonies and although we have a good ISP available (Starpower), there is no high speed stuff in the area so I am forced to go with DirecPC for my business connection. Stay tuned to this station for further details...

Huke! Thanks! This is worth looking into!! :D

Mal, Puh-LEASE let me know how this works for you. I'm sick, tired, and ticked off sitting here getting 100K pages in 2K increments. Grrr!

Thanks for your help, fellas!!

OBOY! And it's after 12 noon! This calls for a Shiner! :D :D

Dennis if it is any consulation I'm also anxious for you to have a new (unlimited useage) server. We all need and deserve 24/7 TFL access. :D

A lot of the bottle neck people can be seeing could be ISP related... or bandwidth issues depending on when you try to pull down a page.
My DSL line is SMOKING and I have seen NO delays even during peak hours.

Back