• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Suggestion.......for the vocabulary impaired!

Timothy

I have a suggestion:
Let me preface it by saying as a relatively new member without a large number of posts, I have gained a wealth of knowledge from all the posts I've read and from all those members who have patiently answered my questions. As embarrassing as it may be to admit, although I feel I am not alone, I often come across terms, abbreviations, and acronyms of which I do not know the meaning. What I must do is read enough posts until I figure it out or by chance find someone's post wherein they have used an abbreviation and followed with an explanation or 'spell-it-out" in parenthesis.

My suggestion:
Provide an area on TFL for a glossary of terms and abbreviations that members could quickly referrer to as they come across something unfamiliar. I don't know about everyone else, but when I encounter an unknown abbreviation etc., I get hung up on it and loose the continuity of the post. Even the new-age electronic vocabulary abbreviations could be included for us old geezers. Filling the glossary would be easy. As each member uses one of these literary short-cuts, he/she could check the glossary and if is not there, put it in! Yes, a 'search' feature would be necessary to enter the abbreviation and maybe even the first couple words of longhand if you are looking for an abbreviation to use.

Boy, will I be embarrassed if this already exists! Let me know what you think.

Thanks, Tim

At the top of the screen there is a link to Web Acronyms/Firearms Terms. Click on it and be enlightened. Welcome to TFL!

Embarrassment? How about receiving a private message on 10-18-01 and realizing it only yesterday, three months later. I never look at the bottom part of the forum index page. I guess I should look at least one per month. And Sam, I don't think I want to know what the threshold age for that is. :D

Back