Suggestion for a potential short range hunt?

Deja vu

A few days ago I posted about going on a short range hunt in Idaho. Currently The laws in Idaho short range hunts allow for Muzzle Loaders, Handguns, Archery and Shotguns. That is why I went with a 12ga Slug gun.

I keep hearing rumors that Idaho may take slugs off the table next year (I doubt its true but lets play what if). So if Idaho does take shotgun slugs off the table what would be the next best thing on the list? Shotgun with buckshot? Large Bore hand Cannon? Crossbow?

Any way this is more just academic at this point but I want to have a good idea encase the worst case comes true. Not to mention its fun to talk about.

One of those newer CVA break action type muzzeloaders would be on my list. just as dependable as a shotgun and rifled.

These days you can do the whole powder mess with ramrod or you can get sabots, shotgun primmers and drop in powder which is way easier.

Muzzleloaders have come a long way in the past 25 years. You can now just drop two cylinders of powder in the barrel, put the slug in the sabot, and cram it down. Pop a primer on the flash hole and you're ready to go.

Of course you can still measure your powder manually from a rams horn, but I don't mind modern when it makes things much easier. Another vote for a CVA break-barrel.

Originally posted by mardanlin: Muzzleloaders have come a long way in the past 25 years. You can now just drop two cylinders of powder in the barrel, put the slug in the sabot, and cram it down. Pop a primer on the flash hole and you're ready to go.

Some states(Idaho, I believe is one of them) does not allow the use of sabots, pelleted powder and standard primers for "muzzle-loader only" hunts. Don't know if the same thing applies to them during SRHs.

My PC .460 mag revolver is as accurate as most rifles to 150 yards or so. Same can be said for my PC .44mag Magnum Hunter out to 80 or so. If you're comfortable with a handgun....go handgun. If not, go smoke-pole.

Depends on the specific rules...

If modern muzzleloaders (and smokeless powder) were allowed, I'd go with a Savage ML-10II, not a doubt in my mind.

If not, I'd use an Encore handgun chambered in .243 or 7-08.

Depends on the specific rules...
If not, I'd use an Encore handgun chambered in .243 or 7-08.
No dice.
You're limited to:
"... a handgun using straight-walled cartridges not originally developed for rifles."

....Which really isn't bad, at all. Most states are substantially more restrictive for handguns. But, it sinks your .243 and 7mm-08.

Full "Short Range Weapon" restrictions:
In big game seasons restricted to short-range weapons, it is unlawful for hunters to use any weapon other than a muzzleloader, archery equipment, crossbow, a shotgun using slugs or shot of size #00 buck or larger, or a handgun using straight-walled cartridges not originally developed for rifles.

Additionally, muzzleloaders are limited to:
(paraphrased, in some cases)
  • .45 caliber or larger for deer, pronghorn, mountain lion, or gray wolf.
  • .50 caliber or larger for elk, moose, bighorn sheep, mountain goat, or black bear.
  • Must load only from the muzzle.
  • Only open or peep sights. No electronics or scopes of any kind, without an approved disability waiver.
  • Loaded only with loose black powder, loose Pyrodex, or other loose synthetic black powder. No pelletized powders or smokeless powders, whatsoever.
  • Single or double barrel.
  • Loaded with a projectile within 0.010" or bore diameter. No sabots allowed.
  • Loaded with a patched round ball or conical non-jacketed projectile comprised wholly of lead or lead alloy.
  • Equipped only with a flint, percussion cap, or musket cap. 209 primers are not allowed.
  • Equipped with an ignition system in which any portion of the cap is exposed or visible when the weapon is cocked and ready to fire. (Inlines and Traditions hammerless are not allowed, even if using standard caps.)

Muzzleloader for sure!

Saboted .357 195 gr Precision bullet from a .45 cal will git er dun, giving you a LOT of range. Even a non-saboted bullet from just about any caliber ML will be better than even a shotgun for range and effectiveness IMO. Well, are inlines allowed? Saboted bullets? Conical bullets? BP equiv substitutes? Scopes?

Update: OK, I see you've answered that. Sorry.

Hmm, in that case, I'd go with a T/C Contender or Encore in .357 max or similar (maybe .45 colt or .454 Casull -- or .44 mag or .445 supermag)

Well, or a Hawken / sidelock frontstuffer, preferably in .45 cal, with a conical lead fullbore bullet and loose Triple Seven (since Blackhorn 209 isn't reliable with a percussion cap). Or .50 cal if required for the species.

If you follow Brian's advice and use a .460 (good choice), I'd recommend handloads or *carefully-selected* factory loads - the "standard" factory 200 gr loading for that round is an absurd flying dime - closer to a varmint load than a hunter. Good choice for coyote or tiny swamp deer with neck shot but nothing bigger

Last edited:
Back