Suggested Loads For My Ruger GP-100 6"

gryphon

Just bought the GP-100 6", took it to the range and shot horribly with it. Someone remind me next time that just because a gun can handle the loads you put into it, doesn't mean that you can handle the gun! I picked up some Federal hi-shok JHP. Needless to say it was a big, BIG difference between my 9mm(obviously). First shot was not even registered on the target, only god knows where it went(indoor range, so no one was hurt).

I know for a first set of loads that probably was not a smart choice. Any suggestions on .357 loads that I could get? I shot some .38 special afterwards and did much better, but that was to be expected as the gun had no muzzle flip whatsoever.

I usually shoot 158 gr LSWC that I bought in bulk at a gun show. They run about 1000fps and feel fairly mild in my GP-161. I also bought some Gold Dots in bulk that supposedly run at 1250 -- still mild. I haven't shot many .38's or +P's, but these .357's are mild enough for practice. The defense load I've got are 125 gr Cor-Bon.

As far as factory loads are concerned, just about any 158gr lead 38special load shoots well. The Winchester "whitebox" ammo (110gr 357mag) works well too. The best load in my 4" GP is my personal handload. It's a hot load using a 180gr jacketed hollowpoints (that load has some muzzle flip!).

Chris

You may want to consider some 130 grain, .38 Special, FMJ. Inexpensive, excellent target loads for your KGP-161.

If you handload ammo, I have a good target load that I have worked up. It is as follows:

Cases: Misc .357 magnum
Primer: Fed Small Pistol (NOT Magnum)
Powder: Winchester 231
Charge: 6.0 grains
Projectile: John's Hard Cast 158 grain LSWC
OAL: To cannelure

These loads were chronographed at 1050fps from a Ruger GP-161 (6" barrel). My female friend was able to shoot bowling pins on the berm at 50 yards handily. Recoil was practically nil.

This is just my experience with my 6" GP100: Hotter handloads did FAR better than any 38 Spl I tried, or any factory 357 load. Handload I would up with was 19 gr H4227 with 125 gr Jacketed. About 1700fps or so (chrony still on the wish list) according to the book. Louder than 38 loads, but not really any more recoil. Just start with the target at 5 or 7 yards with the revolver on some sort of rest; fire single action to start and you can adjust the sights good enough to keep you on the target. My wife and I don't fire any more 38 out of this gun. They wern't any more accurate than 357, they didn't recoil much less, and buying factory reloads or somesuch they don't save that much money. Once you've fired a few boxes of magnums (of whatever type) you'll be used to it. Another thing I did was replace the 14# factory springs with 10# springs from wolff. Big difference.

When I first got the GP100 I had a hard time keeping the rounds in a 6" 7 yard group, and I wondered about all this GP100 accuracy hoopla I'd read about. The last trip to the range I put 25 shots into 1-1/2", and I've only fired a couple hundred rounds so far. It will grow on you.

Back