• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

suggest delete old for sale threads

Would you like to delete or lock old for sale threads???

• Delete or lock after 1 year

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UniversalFrost

Ok, it looks like the resurection of old for sale threads is started again (why does it always come and go in waves).

I would like to suggest to the mods that we somehow delete or make it unable to post to for sale threads older than a certain amount of time.

I personally would set the limit at 6 months, but some may like a year. Many of the other forums I frequent will delete the for sale/trade threads after 45-60 days of inactivity.

Make 'Em Temporary

I agree...I have two WTS-WTT threads of my own for items I no longer have. These should be temporary & disappear after 60 days...

Makes sense to me. I'm still getting offers on stuff that was gone a yr or so ago. Maybe if we could just post to the thread when we're done with it, that it's a done deal and mods please delete this now. Then they'd see it and delete it.

I recently contacted someone who kept BTT'ing for 6 months. Then by the time that I found about it and contacted the seller, he had traded it about a month after the last BTT.
You just never know how long a seller may be holding on to it, meanwhile there's a buyer looking for it. :)

yes, sold would work, but do the folks understand what SOLD means.

I have had guys email about guns and or ammo I clearly marks sold in the thread. latest was a thread I had 2 years ago and the guy was wondering if I had more .223 ammo at the same price of $85 per 500 for winchester Q3131. I told him I had plenty of spent brass for that price, but no loaded ammo. :D

He seemed to think I was not too funny. :confused:

I think it's an interesting suggestion, but I would lean toward having them accept no new replies after six months or so. The old threads are a good resource for determining the going price of firearms and accessories.

We'll look into implementing something like this. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

I voted "delete/lock after six months" but only because there wasn't, as BluesMan suggests, a "lock only after six months" option. I have actually searched for prices of a certain guns here and it was handy to see those threads.

but I would lean toward having them accept no new replies after six months or so. The old threads are a good resource for determining the going price of firearms and accessories.

agree except for time frame. I think sixty days of active listing is enough. if it isnt sold by then, somethings wrong. Keep as "read only" after 60 days.
just last week a member asked if a gun was still availble listed on a post that was over two yrs old!

the delete/lock was ment to give the option of deletion or locking the thread. not a hard and fast rule.

I think locking is a good idea. Was considering the deletion part as a space saving option for the site.

How long is the origional poster allowed to edit or delete his own thread? On other sites I frequent, after something sold the OP simply deleted the thread under the edit button.

The edit window for any post is 4 days. No one other than moderators can delete threads, and we don't plan on changing that. We feel the record needs to remain intact for sales of firearms.

We are experimenting with allowing members to close their own threads after a deal is completed over on THR. If that is a success, I might suggest doing it here at TFL.

Back