Sugestions on 38 special +p ammo

I'd say the 158 grain LSWHP +P is universally acclaimed. It'll put a big hurt on anything with two legs that you are forced to shoot with it. In my experience, lighter bullet weights, even in the +P genus, just don't generate enough velocity in sub-6" barrels for my taste (YMMV). I've never had the poor misfortune to have to shoot anything but paper and cans with them, but the 158 +P's out of my S&W 642 certainly command respect at both ends of the barrel. I've never really noticed a practical difference between manufacturers, though I shoot the Federal most of the time, since it's available locally.
vanfunk

I'm normally not a big Winchester fan but in this instance,their 125 grain +P JHP's are pretty nice.Even though the box will say JHP,they are actually semi-jacketed.

C.C.I. 125 GR Gold dot. 2'' velocity avg. 890 fps. Minimal expansion through 2 layers denim, 1 layer leather coat with silk liner, 1 heavy winter sock. 2 milk jugs of water with partial penetration of third. Bullet profile of full wadcutter with hollow point slightly dished out to about an honest .38 caliber. 6'' S&W 686 velocity 1070 fps Expansion into phone books very violent. Bullet held together extremely well. Devestating load on chronographs.

Mag Tech Anyone?

I've had good result's with Mag Tech's .38 Special, +P
ammo in the 125 grain offering; but I prefer Federal's
Hydra-Shok, for all practical purpose's. Mag Tech's
have gold colored projectiles; and sell commerically
for about $3.79 for a 10 round pack.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

Back