successful deer hunt

tahunua001

The Year of firsts continues.:cool:
the back story:
after getting skunked in every hunt I made last year with the mentality that I was going to blast anything that moved I decided this year that I would instead hunt for fun and set a goal for every hunt this year. first challenge was to call in my turkey for the first time. Challenge accepted, challenge conquered. then I decided that I was going to hunt my Black bear with an open sighted rifle. Challenge accepted, Challenge conquered. it was not only my first black bear but also my first game animal killed with open sights.

then for deer season I set two goals since I drew an extra doe tag in addition to my normal white tail either/or tag. I decided to set a goal of using a range restricting cartridge with non magnifying sight system for the doe and something different for my buck.
Doe Challenge accepted,
100_1542_zps85d57c39.jpg

and conquered. I used my AR15 in 9mm with a hand load of 147gr speer gold dots in front of power pistol powder.

she was at 50 yards. first shot was quartering and ended up hitting high and lodged just under the hide after passing through the back bone. a shot to the head to finish her off was a through and through.
this is the one from under the hide, wasn't able to find the through and through.
100_1547_zpsfcb5bdf3.jpg

in addition to my first close range restricted cartridge, this is also my first morning deer. all of my other deer have either been mid afternoon or last light deer. it's nice not having to find it in the dark, not that I had to look, it only made it two steps from start to finish.

Last edited:
after passing through the back bone

Spinal cord-breaking stopping shot, or flesh wound? Just asking. Can I assume that the head shot to finish was taken at the same distance?

Back