Subsonic Ammo vs. hyper-velocity

• Thread starter Thread starter woodyjr
  • Start date Start date
W

woodyjr

Some say it is the only way to go, and some claim hyper-velocity is what you need for accuracy. Whats the skinny?

Depends on the actual performance from your specific gun.

Best advice: start at the BOTTOM of the price ladder and work UP until you reach your desired performance from YOUR gun.

Hyper velocity can be more inaccurate than subsonic rounds. Just look at the ammo used for Olympic rimfire competition, all subsonic. The idea is if you are firing at a target at x distance, you want to bullet to stay supersonic or subsonic all the way out. If it transistions from supersonic to subsonic, it can be destabilize. I've talk with high power rifle shooters that say the 308 is not ideal for 1000 yards competition because after about 800 yards, the bullet becomes subsonic and often hit the target sideways.

Distance

How far can that distance "X" be with subsonic ammo b4 it starts to drop alot. I love to fire my 22 marlin bolt action rifle. I love the accuracy I can get from 50 to 70 yards, every once in a blue moon I can eek out those 100 Yard shots, which is tough with a 22 rimefire. If I switch to subsonic rounds will the drop excesively?

The problem with accuracy has little to do with how much the bullet drops. A high velocity 22 rimfire transistions to subsonic speeds between 50 to 75 yards. So you might get great accuracy at 50 yards, but at 100 yards under ideal conditions, accuracy can suffer.

If you are concern with how much a bullet drops, don't try to shoot past 125 yards with a 22 rimfire. My accurized 10/22T will group 0.20" at 50 yards with target grade ammo, it hates match grade. I usually use Winchester Dynapoints, which are standard velocity. I'll get 0.40" groups at 50 and sub 1" at 100 yards under ideal conditions. The bullet generally drops about 5-6" at 100 yards. I've shot out to 200 yards and hit what I was aiming at, ie. squirrels and rabbits. Unless you know how to use target turrets on a scope, I wouldn't try to shoot past 100 yards.

Correct Terminology

FYI and just to keep things accurate, the following are accepted velocity definitions:
> 0 to .999M is subsonic
> 1.0 to 4.999M is supersonic
> 5.0 and above M is hypersonic
So, unless you really mean 5M velocities or greater, I respectfully suggest the applicable term is supersonic.

Back