• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Subscription Notices by email

PT-Partners

Sir. I recently became active on the Firing Line again. I have instant notification in my profile for threads I have subscribed to. My email address is current. I am not receiving any notices. I checked with the owner of my server and he has not received any email notices from the firing line. What am I doing wrong. I will check this thread again as I am not receiving email notices.

Thanks for any assistance.

Your mailserver is being extremely picky about what it accepts. It's rejecting the user@host smtp envelope address tfl was sending mail from. The vast majority of mailservers ensure that host is valid, but not that mail for user@host is accepted.

The envelope from address is now accepted, but I'm not sure that's a good permanent solution, because that mail ends up going nowhere and is read by no one. I'm not in favor of that, because if mail isn't automatically processed or forwarded to a human, IMO it shouldn't be accepted at all.

The vbulletin notifications are entirely automated and there should not be a reason to ever need to reply to one, hence why the return address was not accepted.

I looked at your settings, but didn't see anything that would stop you from receiving notifications.

According to what is set, this is the only thread you are subscribed to.

ETA: Ah, tyme got to it!

It's rejecting the user@host smtp envelope address tfl was sending mail from

It would be helpful to know what the "user@host" is so that I can add an exception.

The mail server is checking to ensure that the sender is valid. It would be easy to correct if it was coming from thefiringline.com

--Mark

The from address is now accepting mail, if I wasn't clear in my first post. It looks like at least one other mailserver was rejecting email for the same reason.

I'm curious if you consider that anti-spam measure to be productive? It's on the aggressive fringe of anti-spam measures...

Back