Sub Moa Mosin Nagant

timmayb67

Inactive
Allright, I know I'll get a lot of crap for this but I would like to say that a 91/30 Mosin Nagant CAN shoot sub MOA. Will it do it with a factory stock and used barrel, probably no way. But if you get lucky and find a unfired rifle it is possible. I recently put 4 shots in a 1 inch group at 200 yards and did it again today, (it's highly modified yet retains barrel and receiver/action). Let the harrasment begin!!:rolleyes: I'm looking for another cheap rifle to build, and was leaning towards an Enfield, or Mauser, any suggestions as far as accuracy on these?
p.s. here's the Mosin

Attachments

• 0324091948.jpg
    0324091948.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 662
Last edited:
Ha! No harassment here. I can get my PU sniper in a 3.5" at 100yds, when I bench it with the 7N1 ammo. I've enlarged the barrel channel and effectively free-floated the barrel. I have yet to bed the action, but I don't think it'll offer a return on a gun as such. Nice gun, BTW!

I'm all for it. Good going!

I put about 60 more rounds through my 91/30 Izvehsk (1944 or 45...can't remember) this weekend. From kneeling, I put five rounds into about 6 inches from prone using Yugo heavy ball (headstamp 1955). Roughly 100yds, craptastic IA weather (rain, sleet, and snow all at once). The heck of it was that I set up another target and shot through a 9" or 10" diameter tree (tree at about 30yds, target still 90 or 100yds--walked it off, but with muddy boots and slick grass/mud, who knows.). I put two of five through the tree, the other three shot from another angle. All five still went into about 6 or 7". One bullet was obviously sideways upon hitting my silhouette target. The other four looked identical.

Oh, the last four inches of my barrel has been back-bored and re-crowned. All matching serials though.

Congrats on your MOA nagant. They are addictive.

You'll have an easier go of it...

If you use a 98 Mauser action.

There are lots of target/precision rifles built on the venerable 98 Mauser, and a nice selection of aftermarket parts and pieces intended for that particular design.

You won't save any money building a precision rifle on a Mauser or any other milsurp action compared to building one on a current Savage/Remington action, but you'll have the satisfaction of knowing what you built yourself works like a charm.

Been there, done that, it's why I have a safe drawer with extra 98 Mauser actions to build up on my whims. :D

Could you tell us more about that Mosin? Like what kind of stock, scope, and muzzle device do you have?

I've got a scoped ex-sniper that seems to be very accurate despite a rusty bore and heavy trigger.

The Mosin is BUY FAR the best value in milsup. There's nothing that's even close. The far distance second is the Swiss and then Swede, but $ for $ the old Rusky so outclasses anything else that it isn't even funny. It would take something like a $2000 benchrester to start the competition.

mosin

mosin looks good. if your thinking of getting a enfield or mauser I would recommened a enfield just for the reason that I have an enfield no4 mk1 and it shoots 1moa at 100 yards with my reloads. And I like the enfield action. Just my 2 cents.

Re: mod's

The mod's are;
ATI composite stock (barrel completely floated by spacing under receiver)
FAL ported muzzle brake
ATI scope/bolt mod kit (welded on didn't trust the cheezy screw:barf:)
Bipod
NcStar MKIII 10-40x scope with 50mm objective
Also filled the stock with sand for extra weight=extra stability=less recoil effect,
<..............>

Last edited by a moderator:
hey all

im a noob to gun mods i watched my grand father for years and he a a very nice colection of rifles but his fav was the mosin nagant he had 5 i got 2 of them when he passed and had 2 of my own and i want to modify one to a newer style stock and want to learn all i can like floating the barrel and any thing i can do to kinda modernize it a lill and learn any thing i can about the weapon it self and customizeing it any input i can get from yall i would be gratefull

Back