Sub-compact 9mm

Going to a local gun store and looking at them would be a good bet. Let the staff help narrow down what fits you and your needs. Handle as many as possible. There is no short way to do this.

Take a basic handgun course if you are new to handguns. This might be the first step to take. Then you have a beginning knowledge of what will work for you. We all have to start somewhere and at the beginning.

There are just too many good makes and models for anyone to list here.

I am partial to Taurus G2C, G3C or G2S models and Ruger models. What fits me,being a short person with stubby fingers may or may not fit you.

going to a local gun store and looking at them would be a good bet. Let the staff help narrow down what fits you and your needs. Handle as many as possible. There is no short way to do this.

Take a basic handgun course if you are new to handguns. This might be the first step to take. Then you have a beginning knowledge of what will work for you. We all have to start somewhere and at the beginning.

There are just too many good makes and models for anyone to list here.

I am partial to taurus g2c, g3c or g2s models and ruger models. What fits me,being a short person with stubby fingers may or may not fit you.
best advice saves time and money

The new Wonder 9 sub compact guns are as follows

Sig P365
S&W shield plus
Springfield Hellcat
Ruger Max 9
Taurus GX4

Also I will throw in the Glock offerings so someone does not have a hissy fit. but I personally feel they do not compare well to the newer double stack sub compact guns although many like them and there is nothing wrong with them.

G26
G43
G43x (which is labeled as sub compact, although I feel is is more of a compact)

Here is a really great tool. The site it Handgun Hero. It will let you compare guns side it side for size and has all the stats on the gun like weight and capacity as well.
https://www.handgunhero.com/

There are a lot of great options on the market right now all good reliable guns. Its just a matter of picking the one that you like better personally.

Congratulations! You are the one-millionth person to ask this question in the past week!

Fortunately, you have no shortage of options because 9mm Subcompacts are the current trend so practically every firearms manufacturer on Earth makes at least one.
In fact, there are honestly so many options available right now that nobody could list them all accurately, so you're best off searching online on various manufacturers websites as well as retailers until you find something that suits your needs.

In the meantime, here are the latest options available which are all the rage due to their slim profile yet generous magazine capacities...

• SIG P365
  • Springfield Armory Hellcat
  • Smith & Wesson M&P9 Shield PLUS
  • Ruger Max-9
  • Taurus GX4

This video may help by Honest Outlaw that lists his personal top favorites. Lot's of good choices these days and most depends on how well a pistol actually fits your hand/finger size and this how well you can shoot it. I have larger hands and am very interested in the new Shield Plus but am holding off for a while to see if Walther comes out with an updated PPS like Smith and Wesson did with their Shield or possibly the rumored HK micro compact 9MM.

My wife has small hands and very likely will get a SIG P365XL after a range rental session trying different options.

https://youtu.be/gTCjkkqUXs4

Last edited:
Don't forget the previous generation.
I have a Glock 43 and a Ruger LC9s. They are not the latest high capacity subcompacts but they are handy to carry and not as unpleasant to shoot as you might think.

I will sometimes pick up my old S&W Bodyguard M38. Revolvers still work... if you do.

I'm in the market for a sub-compact 9mm pistol, what are my options?

I have direct experience with 2, the Kel-Tec PF9 and the Springfield XDS*.

I didn't think all that much of the PF9, and sold it off. Plowed the proceeds from that into an XDS. It worked and works fine, never a problem with it. It was quite the thing to have, when it was new. Until the Shield came out, which was then quite the thing. Until the G43 came out. Etc. etc.

Point being, these things are "jelly beans". Pick one. They all work about the same. Buy on the basis of whether you can get a good holster** for it, magazine availability, etc. (Except Kimber's original single stack striker fired micro-9, which, so Innernet Rumor has it, kind of sucked.)

These days I would probably be looking at the Ruger LCR or LCRx in 9mm. Because, that's what contrarians do these days, advocate for revolvers.

*There was a Star Firestar in the mix for a while too. Never ended up really comfortable with it, never carried.

**I've come to think that holster availability ought to be a lot higher in the list of things we look at, choosing a firearm for carry.

Last edited:
My Gosh! The options out there are many. DAO, Striker fired etc. Aluminum Chassis, Steel chassis, different weights, lengths, grips, sights, cost, features and on and on. Are you a high volume shooter, low volume. (Lol, most folks these days are LOW volume)

Guns are like shoes, no one size fits all. You do not have to spend over $500 to find great Quality. Just do a little research and spend some time with your search. Do not get caught up in fads. This is not a good time to be purchasing a firearm with the ammo shortage IMO. I personally believe any gun you EDC, you need to spend some quality time with. Shooting often and on a diligent schedule. And that is Expensive even in the best of times.

The latest gun I tested was last week for example and it was a FN 503. Excellent shooting, mild, and well built. A nice Micro 9mm. Small size for EDC. A little on the heavy side, but did not feel like it. The owner spent around $450. There are other very nice quality guns out there for even a little less.

I put together a list, a PARTIAL list of small sub compacts Based on Standard Recoil Calculation. (Not perceived recoil) The list will show a small example of guns available. Note, Recoil is just one factor of many.

RECOIL FACTOR
Keltec PF-9------------9.79 ft-lb 12.7 oz
Diamondback-DB9---9.28 ft-lb 13.4 oz
SSCY 8.29 ft-lb 15 oz.
Kimber Micro9--------8.02 ft-lb 15.6 oz
Kahr CM9---------------7.7 ft-lb 15.8 oz
--------------------------------------------------

Ruger LC9S------------7.24 ft-lb 17.2 oz
Sig 365------------------6.99 ft-lb 17.8 oz
Sig 938--------------------6.99 ft-lb 17.5 oz
Glock 43X------------------6.93 ft-lb 18.7 oz
MP Shield-----------------6.8 ft-lb 19 oz
Springfield Hellcat------6.78 ft-lb 18.3 oz
Tauraus GX4 6.68 ft-lb 18.5oz
Beretta APX Carry/Nano- 6.18 ft-lb 19.8 oz
Ruger Max 9-----------------6.18 ft-lb 20.4 oz
Smith and Wesson Shield plus 6.04 ft-lb 20.6 oz
Glock 26-------------------5.98 ft-lb 21.7 oz
FN503------------------------5.92 ft-lb 21 oz
Mossberg MC1------------5.89 ft-lb 22.oz
Honor Defense-----------5.79 ft-lb 22 oz

Last edited:
My 2 cents for what it's worth, I have both a Hellcat and a Shield EZ 9mm. The Hellcat could take some getting used to as it is a wee bit 'jumpy' I've found. The Shield much less so. Both fine pieces.

My Gosh! The options out there are many. DAO, Striker fired etc. Aluminum Chassis, Steel chassis, different weights, lengths, grips, sights, cost, features and on and on. Are you a high volume shooter, low volume. (Lol, most folks these days are LOW volume)

Guns are like shoes, no one size fits all. You do not have to spend over $500 to find great Quality. Just do a little research and spend some time with your search. Do not get caught up in fads. This is not a good time to be purchasing a firearm with the ammo shortage IMO. I personally believe any gun you EDC, you need to spend some quality time with. Shooting often and on a diligent schedule. And that is Expensive even in the best of times.

The latest gun I tested was last week for example and it was a FN 503. Excellent shooting, mild, and well built. A nice Micro 9mm. Small size for EDC. A little on the heavy side, but did not feel like it. The owner spent around $450. There are other very nice quality guns out there for even a little less.

I put together a list, a PARTIAL list of small sub compacts Based on Standard Recoil Calculation. (Not perceived recoil) The list will show a small example of guns available. Note, Recoil is just one factor of many.

RECOIL FACTOR
Keltec PF-9------------9.79 ft-lb 12.7 oz
Diamondback-DB9---9.28 ft-lb 13.4 oz
SSCY 8.29 ft-lb 15 oz.
Kimber Micro9--------8.02 ft-lb 15.6 oz
Kahr CM9---------------7.7 ft-lb 15.8 oz
--------------------------------------------------

Ruger LC9S------------7.24 ft-lb 17.2 oz
Sig 365------------------6.99 ft-lb 17.8 oz
Sig 938--------------------6.99 ft-lb 17.5 oz
Glock 43X------------------6.93 ft-lb 18.7 oz
MP Shield-----------------6.8 ft-lb 19 oz
Springfield Hellcat------6.78 ft-lb 18.3 oz
Tauraus GX4 6.68 ft-lb 18.5oz
Beretta APX Carry/Nano- 6.18 ft-lb 19.8 oz
Ruger Max 9-----------------6.18 ft-lb 20.4 oz
Smith and Wesson Shield plus 6.04 ft-lb 20.6 oz
Glock 26-------------------5.98 ft-lb 21.7 oz
FN503------------------------5.92 ft-lb 21 oz
Mossberg MC1------------5.89 ft-lb 22.oz
Honor Defense-----------5.79 ft-lb 22 oz
Do you know what the compact Beretta Px4 recoil factor is?

first, assuming you are serious about getting a nine mm, grab any ammo you can find starting now. it's really hard to find any and a good chance you will find the gun of your dreams but have no ammo to shoot. guns are much much easier to find than ammo.
next, ist this your first handgun? is it specifically for carry? does your State have any restrictions for ownership and conceal carry?
if this is for concealed carry, keep clothing style and restrictions in mind. a Sig365 is easier to conceal than a Glock 26, but the G26 is easier to shoot.
lots of gun options out there, make a check list of facts and desires then head to the Gun Shops to feel and see the reality of your search
Good Luck, the hunt is as much fun as buying and shooting.

You need to check out the Sig P365. I've owned a lot of these guns, and the Sig is the only one I've kept. It's perfect. Reliable, accurate, shootable, good capacity, etc.

It's the best around.

I have not owned all the guns above, but shot many. I do shoot my Micro 9's quite a bit in normal times. My favorite for great shooting, I put almost 15,00 rds through it in about a year and a few months.
The gun IMO must be a right fit for your hand and this is personal. I am lucky to have found the perfect gun for me. But I know it is not the perfect for all by any means.

One thing I found out for my OWN shooting is that a good grip on the off hand really helps to control recoil and muzzle flip. So I seek out guns that have a good area on the Grip. Some folks do not care about this and other guns fit the bill for them. But you must know if it does before purchase.

Here is a example of two Micro 9'mm. Something that is a hot button for me, maybe not for others.
Do you like a straighter grip or one that brings you had closer under? And on and on. They do not all shoot the same.
One reason I have not purchased any new guns. Just will not get the quality time I like to have. I have read that many guns bought now are by first time buyers. A new Gun, holster, and the ammo to get acquainted with the gun must be a fortune in cost.

Ro3V4A4.png

Last edited:
I've been shooting my SIG P938, almost to the exclusion of every other handgun I own, for more than four years.
It's very compact, smaller than the M&P Shield, Walther PPS, and other single stack 9mms, weighs 17oz, maybe a bit too big for a "pocket pistol", but it's a pleasure to shoot, with full-sized night sights, and a good trigger.
I require a manual safety on my carry gun(s), something missing from most of the compact plastic pieces.

I've been shooting my SIG P938, almost to the exclusion of every other handgun I own, for more than four years.
It's very compact, smaller than the M&P Shield, Walther PPS, and other single stack 9mms, weighs 17oz, maybe a bit too big for a "pocket pistol", but it's a pleasure to shoot, with full-sized night sights, and a good trigger.
I require a manual safety on my carry gun(s), something missing from most of the compact plastic pieces.
The Sig 938 is a great little firearm. The gun I wish I had jumped on was the Sig 290. Can't believe they discontinued that sweet shooting pistol. Nice size, a little heavy but just a lovely shooter.

I own a few of them..P365, P365XL, P30SK, Micro 9 and a Shield Plus. I like them all but have an absolute favorite. The best recommendation I could give you is to get them all in your hands to see which one feels the best to you. If you live near a range that rents them..better yet. Shoot each one if you can. When you're done you'll know which one is for you.

Back