Stupid Revolver tricks

Tankist

Today, I came face to face with one of the dangers of letting your friend/shooting buddy handle your firearm. After letting my friend take a look at my new Performance Shop 629, guess what he did... That's right he "Bogarted" the gun right in front of me!!! :mad: Needless to say I was not happy.

Now, I am not exactly sure why this is bad. Just that it's BAD. But, I am sure that there are plenty of more knowledgeable people then myself here that can enlighten me. Is it as bad dropping the slide on an empty chamber? What exactly can you damage closing the cylinder by flicking your wrist like they do in the all them dumb-ass movies out there. And how can you spot that damage.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Probably not much damage done, if any. If done consistently, it can cause problems with the latch, and can screw up your cylinder timing. Be sure that after this happens the cylinder is rotated by hand until it locks BEFORE you pull the trigger. If it were my buddy he would get an "educational" earful.
If he'd slammed it open......well we won't get into that.
:mad:

I don't think occasionally flipping a revolver cylinder closed is likely to do much damage, though I don't do it and don't recommend it. Nor do I think dropping the slide on an autoloader is bad, either, though I will get flamed for saying so.

There are some folks who spend a lot of time and imagination thinking of all the horrible things that can happen to their precious guns, totally ignoring the fact that firing the gun usually causes a lot more wear and stress than anything they can possibly do by hand. One fellow was deeply disturbed that firing his new 1911 clone actually took the bluing off the slide rails. Said he laid awake worrying about it. Like driving a car and worrying constantly about the wear on the pistons.

Jim

A guy I know did that with one of my revolvers.

When he protested, saying it couldn't hurt all that much, I grabbed his stupid goatee and pulled for all I was worth.

When I let go I told him to stop complaining, it couldn't hurt all that much.

I think he got my point, but he's never handled another of my revolvers.

Whoa!

No 'opionions' about that my friend. I am in a position to inform you exactly what that 'wrist-flip' to close the cylinder does. All the unsprung weight(cylinder, extractor rod, and springs) are on the barrel surface of the crane. The crane is secured into the frame. The cylinder turns on the ouside surface of the crane tube.
That tube shaped crane goes inside the cylinder, The crane is a one piece part. It cannot flex therfore it will bend when the abusive move of wrist flipping happens.
OK--let's picture you standing at the foot of your bed.
You have-say- a good ol' quilt which you want to 'spread' on the bed.
You grab the quilt and do the 'sling-throw-and wave' manuver.............you know about that move.
When you do the 'imbecile' wrist flip to close the cylinder then that action will weaken the crane each time a person stupidly flips the cylinder closed That slinging of the cylinder really snaps the hell out of the crane when it violently stops. The suddent stop will ruin the crane and does not help the frame where the crane is secured. Very much sooner than later that action will ruin the crane and then you have a cylinder which won't open or close. Don Mallard

yup don beat me to posting...a sprung crane is nothing to laught at...especially with a smith because the hand pushes the cylinder, and in turn the crane, out of the frame whenever you pull the trigger.

you can tell you have a problem if you look at the front of your gun where the crane meets the frame. as the crane is sprung the gap will open instead of being an almost inperceptable line.

the cure is even worst :eek: you open the cylinder, insert a q-tip between the crane and frame, close the cylinder and smack it with a lead babbit. i almost fell out of my seat the first time i saw that

To Mr Erwin: Nobody disputes the SW agreement was a bad thing. They shouldn't have been forced into a position by the government where the options were settle or die. Even if the CEO was a sellout and they shouldn't have settled: How come nobody else noticed the only people who got screwed by the SW boycott were the poor schleps who work there who had nothing to say about the agreement?

The CEO who did it sailed away with a big $ golden parachute.

The government who actually caused the whole thing through abusive use of the Justice Department is laughing because they got one the largest gun makers on the verge of bankruptcy and they even got the NRA to do it for them.

You think that boycotting SW out of business is good? Looks to me like taking the passengers off a bus and shooting them because the bus driver pissed you off. The rich bus driver's laughing and the hole in your foot is from your own gun.

Turn the heat where it belongs: at the government. They will soon be tying to push other gun makers out of business through punitive legislation and stupid lawsuits. If you want them to survive they will need support.

Tankist, in theory...
When you drop a slide on an empty chamber, or slap your cylinder closed you are causing "impulse loads". Consequences are plastic deformation (bending the crane, battering the slide) or fatigue fractures, that could fail catastrophically while shooting...in theory.

Seems the guys that shoot and reload really fast are subjecting their guns to all kinds of impulse loads. They are competing, and can rebuild as needed, I guess. Don't know if anyone competes with the gun they count on for defense???

Biggest consequence for dropping the slide on an empty is you don't look cool.

I won't buy one of those d**m Smith &Wessons, but can I borrow yours? I won't bogart it, really... :p

A. Smith was merely one of many that the government attempted to blackmail. They were (so far) the only one to capitulate to the demands. Buying from them not only directly funds the antis but is a direct slap in the face of the manufacturers who had the gumption to stand up and refuse to sign.

B. There are car dealerships with larger payrolls than S&W. Hardly a glitch on the economy if they were to dissappear.

Sam

oh my

Well boys I invested my whole working life which very much revolved around Smith and Wesson.
Oh all those fine workers whose voice I had come to know and them me.
I learned to smith too.
smooting the action and repairing for friends.
I needed parts I just called them and they knew my voice and sent anything I wanted to order.
One favorite conversion was putting a 6" nickle 19 barrel on a 4" 66 and then polishing the 66 all over to match the bright barrel.
12.5 grns of 2400 and 158 grn hard cast is a powerful and accurate load and is one of two 357 loads that I shoot and is a great load for that gun.
Anyway I called there about the time all this mess hit.
My friends there were asking how we could stop our government from just taking over manufacturing plants-indirectly- and causing the businesses to just dry up like S&W is doing.
Now Where were the 'S&W bosses from? hummmm and there is where the burr in the saddle was
What can we really do except do the 'Contact your Congressman' thing-which I have. Then it comes down to keeping one eye on the trigger and the other one on the hog...........and do some deep personal soul seraching and make up your mind to kill as many of them as you can or bow down before them. I choose to live a lawful life as a citizen now. I will not be a pawn for any government and I will not bow before them. When you lose your personal freedom then your 'fun' is gone and you are less than you were.
Don Mallard

Did not know this was bad for revolvers. I have been doing that to my Rugers for over 10 years, no problem, timing is still like it was when new. Thanks for the warning.

To Mr. bountyh:

Yep, the ENTIRE think is the government's fault.

Poor, poor S&W.

Takes two to tango, son. S&W thought it could get a leg up on the market by hopping in bed with the gov't. Looks like they got what bar whores usually get.

I showed my disdain to the goverment the was 1/2 of this agreement, and it worked. Mr. Clinton's lackey didn't make it to office.

I'll continue show my disdain to Smith & Wesson, as well, until they either recant the agreement, or close shop. Quite frankly, I don't care which.

Do everyone a favor, and go search the forums using my screen name (spell it right, and you'll get a lot more hits), S&W, and agreement.

You'll see that I've addressed, and destroyed, all of these wonderful little smokescreen arguments many times in the past.

Mike and others
S&W no doubt had thoughts as you mention as to how 'it' would improve their bottom line. All that matters is to turn the biggest profit no matter what you have to do in order to get it.
Input from others is exactly why I 'want' to hear what others have to offer. When I say I am keeping my receptors open that is exactly what I mean. I have been paramilitary all these years.
If what is being said is true about the S&W 'board of directors' just wanted to be in some type of governmental favor then I am comming around to something solid to dissect.
Now I can see that they thought they would get a big governmental contract-------oh yeah.
That makes them worse than the lying, adulterer who was sleeping in our White House!
I can be brutally cold blooded if I have too.
If my S&W turned prostitute then that is it with me and them.

Don Mallard

"Input from others is exactly why I 'want' to hear what others have to offer."

Ok, here's some input.

Your messages are hard to read because they're single huge blocks of text.

Use some paragraph returns between logical paragraphs. Makes things a lot easier to read.

Great just great...

Songdog, you're welcome to shoot it whenever you are in NYC area. Please bring your license (can't shoot a pistol without a license in NYC) oh yeah and be sure to bring a barf bag too. (our gun laws have been called communist at best)

Let's see... Latch looks and works fine, there is no gap between the base of the crane and the frame and the cylinder opens and closes just fine. Hmm, not sure how to test for proper timing.

Well, the 629 looks all right to me. It is brand new though and even I don't think that you can damage a finely made revolver by flicking it like that a few times. (one other idiot did it when I was buying it, he asked to look it over and I let him)

I guess like most here, I have a problem with intentionally damaging a firearm just to look cool. By the way, who think that closing the cylinder like that makes you look cool anyway.

Thanks for the info guys.

Last edited:
I think you look lots cooler if you let the slide down gently, under control, or close the cylinder gently and decisively like you respect the workmanship of the piece! No flamboyant moves for me.

Thanks for the invite, one day I'll get to The Big Apple!

Mike, good thing you don't have a Ruger. Everytime you called your dog, someone would hand you a gun! I have a whippet named "Jack". Everytime I hollar at him my wife brings me a shot of whiskey :D

Back