Stupid newie question

Hotboy

I haven't found a place that explains what a moon clip is and how you use it. I gather from posts that it is used for reloading, but that's all I can find. Can you point me to a site that gives an explanation about function? Are they made/available for all revolvers? Are they brand-specific?

Thanks!

Moon clips are small flat pieces of spring steel used to hold rimless (read semi-auto pistol) cartridges in a revolver. Since these are rimless rounds they would seat too deeply in the revolvers cylinder without somrthing to hold them in place. They are also necessary to eject the spent rounds as the cases have no rim for the ejector to grab. Moon clips are most commonly used in revolvers chambered for the .45acp. However other calibers may also use them. Moon clips come in quarter moon (2 rounds), half moon (3 rounds) and full moon (6 rounds).

You know how you have to press a release on a speedloader to drop the shells? Then, the loader falls off as you close the cylinder?
You skip those steps with the 'full moon' clip. Once the bullets are aligned with the chambers, you just drop it in and close the cylinder. Although they were designed for use with rimless auto rounds, you can now get them in certain revos chambered for .357.

Here is a retailer with some good info on the site: www.moonclips.com

Half-moon clips were developed by S&W during WWI, when the Army could not get enough .45 Model 1911 pistols and turned to revolvers, but wanted to use the standard .45 ACP ammunition. Both S&W and Colt made .45 ACP revolvers for the Army, which called both guns the "Model 1917 Revolver". The clips were not necessary to fire the .45 ACP (all but the first Colts had chamber shoulders to support the case mouth), but were necessary for extraction. Otherwise, the cases would have had to be pulled out one at a time with a fingernail, not a good idea in combat.

Jim

625_full_clip_cyl.jpg

The black part is the clip.

Minor correction...

I don't know about 9's and 10mm/40's, but .45ACP revolvers (mine at least) will headspace on the case mouth with now moon clips of any sort.

Back