STUPID mistake today

skizzums

no,no, no, don't get excited, I didn't shoot my foot off.

Thre is only one way NOT too carry a CZ type pistol. that is "half-cock" with the safety on. I was kind of aware why, you can see where the slide rides on the notch and obviously movement of the slide, or the notch by means of the trigger, could fudge up that notch. but what do I care, just don't finger the trigger or rack the slide with the safety on.

well instead, I decided to drop in on the muzzle from 5 feet onto the concrete. Notice the first pic where it's out of battery because the slide ushd itself over the safety.

the impact point ws right above the barrel, hard to see

on the bottom you can see the notch, the shiny spot is where the meteal flattened sliding over the safety

same goes for the little safety

the front of the slide got folded in slightly as well

nothing a disassembly an a few minutes with a dremel wont fix, but know I will seriously have doubts in the safety of the safety since I have obviously altered the shape of it.

That slight alteration to the shape of the thumbpiece should not make any difference. But make sure there is no damage to the inside part of the safety or to parts it is in contact with. IMHO, there will not be, and as you say, a touch with a file (I would avoid the Dremel - too easy to take off too much) should repair the damage. The damage to the slide is negligible; I wouldn't even worry about it.

Jim

the damage to slide is actally the worst part. I cant even slide it back and forth because it has an obstruction. but I understand what your saying, less is more

Ouch! Poor pistol!

I heard a guy say one time when he observed something happen similar to what happened to you "I knew those things happened, I just didn't know they happened to others."

Thanks for posting an example of 'what can happen'.

I'm glad no one has given you any grief for what happened.

If it were me, I'd be locking up all my live ammo, loading up a snap cap or two (if I felt that strongly about dry firing), and trying my hardest to deliberately "fire" the gun with the safety still on. Any hint of success would have me running to a gunsmith.

I have tried several times. I took it apart and did some light sanding on the scrubbed up pieces. although the safety is still strong as ever, I am still too paranoid to carry full-cock, which is fine.

I don't know everything about how the action works, but it appears as if the trigger safety is different from the little slide lock. although the slide is also tight with safety on as well, so it doesn't seem like it is dangerous in any way

Back