Stupid Ammunition Restrictions

J.Smith

So we all know the laws surrounding age restrictions on buying a handgun. We also all know the loophole of buying from a private citizen if over the age of 18. We in Virginia know that it is our legal right once over the age of 18 to open carry. So why is it that a legal gun owner excercising their constitutional right to carry a firearm cannot buy the ammunition for that firearm. I bought a lever action rifle this morning in .357/.38 since my revolver is already chambered in .38 I could keep uniform calibers. So I go to my local shop to buy some target ammo from the same guy that had sold me the rifle earlier that day, and when I get to the counter I grab the ammo and he goes to ring me up and says sorry your not of legal age to buy .38 ammo. I looked him dead in the eye and laughed, we then had a lengthy argument about how moronic it is to sell a rifle that a person cannot buy ammuntion for. Needless to say I had about another $400 worth of items I was going to buy from him and just laid it all down and walked out. So now I have a 5 month wait before I can legally exercise my right to shoot my own damn gun.

Federal law says you must be over 21 to buy handgun ammunition. It may not make sense, but it is federal law.

But if you really felt a need to argue with the dealer over it and walk out in a snit just because of a law that he has no choice but to obey, then maybe it's for the best after all.

There are a couple of legal ways around this....

Federal Law says you cannot buy from an FFL dealer (the same as for a gun), but you could buy from a private individual, the same as a gun.

Your state laws may prohibit this, however. Check closely.

Also, go ask your dealer how he sells .22 LR ammo to anyone under 21? He should be able to sell .38 ammo the same way, and be legal.

The other way, and the way I did it 30+ years ago was to handload. You ought to consider it anyway. Not only useful, but many of us find it fun as well. I believe even with todays laws that you can buy all the handloading components if you are 18 or over. And you can do it mail order if you choose.

Think about it.

:confused:

Whenever I sold ammunition I always asked if it was for a handgun or rifle and then made sure they were the appropriate age. Quite a few people own PCC (Pistol caliber carbines) where I live and there are a portion of those who are under 21.

It's a stupid rule that can't be enforced. There are as many 22 rimfire handguns as there are rifles. There are plenty of 9x19 and 40 S&W rifles, not to mention lever guns chambered in .357 and 44 mag.

Buy it thru the internet. No questions asked just an adult signature normally required and the drivers are mainly concerned about just getting a signature.

Thanks guys the .22 sales was part of my argument. I understand the guy is just trying to cover his back, it was just the ethics of the thing. Sell a guy a gun, and then refuse to sell him ammo just seems like a foolish thing to do. Oh well I think I'm going to go ahead and learn to load my own and start buying mail order. Anyone have any links to loading for handguns? I've done it for shotguns, but the pistol reloading is something new to me.

Buy a reloading manual...or three

Internet links are fine, but a good book or three is something you can read when you are not at the computer. You can have it at the loading bench, open to what you need to reference. Also something to do when you are on the "throne".:rolleyes:

The ABC's of Reloading is a fine reference as well, and contains many tips and tricks that aren't in the loading manuals.

Manuals from Speer, Sierra, Hornady, and Lyman are good places to start, and contain all the basic info. Get a book, read up some, and come back here with any questions, we'll try our best to help.

I have been reloading for over 35 years, and currently load for more than 25 different rifle and handgun calibers. I don't know it all, but I have a bit of experience. If I can help, just ask.

Back