Stupid 9mm Ammo Question!

GunFool

Ok until now I have been a .45 devotee..but I get my first 9mm next week. My question is about the differences in all the '9mm' labeled ammunition. For instance, I THINK that everything generally labeled '9mm', '9mm Luger', and '9X19' are the same while '9mm Mak' and '9X18' are something entirely different. Is my assumption correct here? Wouldn't want to make a mistake. Thanks.

Yes, your assumptions are correct.

9X18 and 9mm Mak are the Russian round for the Makarov
You might also see 9mm Kurz, which is the European designation for the .380 round.
There are at least a half dozen other "9mm" rounds out there as well, so make sure they say 9mm "Luger" or "9X19".

Here's a quick rundown on common 9mm cartridges and their aliases. Some of these aliases you might never see used other than a site like TFL.

These are the same cartridge: 9x19, 9mm Luger, 9mm Parabellum.

These cartridges are the same: .380 ACP, 9x17, 9mm Browning Short, 9mm Kurz, 9mm Corto.

These cartridges are the same: 9mm Makarov, 9x18, 9mm Soviet

These cartridges are the same (BUT DIFFERENT FROM THE 9mm Makarov!): 9x18, 9mm Ultra, 9mm Police. This round isn't commonly encountered, and virtually all uses of 9x18 in the US refer to the 9mm Makarov round.

There are quite a few other 9mm rounds out there that are less frequently (if at all) encountered, such as 9mm Stery, 9mm Mars, 9mm Winchester Magnum, 9mm Glisenti (same case as the Luger, just less powerful), 9mm Largo (or Long), etc.

Thanks everyone for clearing up my questions! Everyone is so helpful here. For those who've been following...I 'inherited' a Ruger P95 this week and I get to pick up my new Glock 19 next week! So I'll have two excellent 9mm's despite which side of the argument you're on. Pretty sweet. Cant wait to test the two side by side - I'm sure they'll both shoot better than I do! Now my only problem is finding a stainless Springfield Compact 'loaded' for under $700 (ya never know..MIGHT happen...). Thanks again everyone.

Congrats on your purchases. I really do not care what brand is better, if the tool fires and works for me it is a keeper. People who flame the other brands are totally ignorant. I own mainly all civilian firearms brands made in the world. Anyways congrats on your purchases. Later.

GunFool

Everyone here convinced me that .380 is a wimp selfdefense round so I made sure that my Sig 230 would shoot 9mmKurz :)

Back