Stupid .357 question

gjoyce

Hey all,

I have recently recieved an old (at least the late 60's) Ruger .357 Blackhawk (three screw no safety mod sweet trigger). I have what I am sure is a very basic question. The pistol is marked simply as a .357. When I look at the new Rugers they are all marked .357 Mag. Further, none of the ammo makers seem to list the .357, they all list .357 Mag. What's the deal? Can I shoot .357 Mag. ammo (in addition to 38 Special)?

Jerry

Welcome gjoyce to TFL,

In the early day's Ruger simply stamped .357
on the early model Blackhawk line of revolver's.
It should be fine for the modern day .357 magnum
cartridge's. One sure way to tell is to insert
a .357 magnum round into one of the chamber's;
and if it fit's then you are good to go. If it
makes you feel any better, a Ruger rep once told
me that "all Ruger's in the Blackhawk and Redhawk
series are proof tested with loads that are 30%
above normal".

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

To the best of my knowledge, Ruger stopped marking simply .357 on their guns around the time that they brought out the .357 Maximum, a lengthened and more potent.357 Mag., sort of the same way that a .357 is a lengthened and more potent .38 Spl.

gjoyce - feel free to ask any firearm related question here. We all had to start somewhere and short of God's Gun Prophet on Earth, Moses, John Moses Browning that is, none of us here are born with an inherent understanding of firearms design and tactical application.

SW 586

Someone would have posted that ACME products are 100% reliable and are the only way to go.:rolleyes:

"I've used ACME catapults for years and have never had a misfire.";)

I dunno...

...it's pretty easy to separate the wheat from the chaff over a given volume of posts.

Besides, I think this board has the best "signal-to-noise ratio" on the 'net. :)

Back