Stuck charge

Scout

Hi,
I've got a CVA Hawken .50cal rifle with a charge of pyrodex pellets and a mini ball stuck in the barrel. It's fully seated but wouldn't fire. Can anyone recommend the most effective way to remove this charge? I have never use pyrodex pellets before, only Goex ffg black powder. If I ever straighten this out, I will return to the old ways...

Pull the nipple....

Pour some 3F (4F preferred**) into the hole, then knock/shake it into the flash
channel to where it settles at/below the level of the nipple's bottom. (Poke it
into the channel some more w/ a toothpick if need be.)

Screw the nipple back in.

Cap and fire it

** If need be, roll a quarter teaspoon of your 2F on a wooden breadboard
with a wooden rolling pin to make a finer grannulation, and use that.

Last edited:
Maybe pull the cleanout screw instead of the nipple, or both even?
Its one less 90 degree turn to get powder bridged in while trying to get enough in the drum to "prime" the Pyrodex pellet.

Lyman & Green Mountain do have cleanout screws (and I've used both it & the nipple
to get powder in behind a dry ball). I didn't see one on the CVA pics I've seen.

If putting powder behind it fails, get yourself a ball pulling jag. It is a jag that fits on the end of your rod that has a screw point on it. You screw it into the soft lead ball and pull it out.

What Doyle said but as a last step as shooting it out is better & easier.
Get the screw jag anyway as you will eventually need one.
Pyro-poof pellets are not good.
If I HAD to use faux powder it would be Tripple 7.
T-7 is on a power wise level with Swiss black.
T-7 won't rot as badly as Pyro-poof.
I had some pyrocrap in the garage for about a year, loaded some in an inline, added bullet, 209 primer & promptly sent 3 flaming Roman candles into my woods.
Not good.
Black is best (you already know that) & Swiss is best of all.
Shame Swiss costs way more than Goex.
Heck I still have a fair supply of Elephant.

All pellet charges have a little bit of powder built into the hole for easy ignition in an inline rifle. It will appear a little blacker than the rest of the pellet if you want to look at it. This hot spot works well with an inline, as the fire from the cap goes directly into the hole in the pellet. The reason they are not recommended for side poppers is because the fire goes in from the side of the chamber, and is not actually hitting the hot spot on the pellet. Some times they go off anyway, but sometimes you sit for hours at a time, waiting on that one good shot only to have the rifle go "CLICK" ( I won't go into how I found that out):D

Best way to get it out is pull the nipple and stick some loose powder into the hole, and shoot it out.

Lyman & Green Mountain do have cleanout screws (and I've used both it & the nipple
to get powder in behind a dry ball). I didn't see one on the CVA pics I've seen.
That's funny, mine has one & as near as I can tell its an older Spanish barrel, not a Green Mountain.:confused:

DSCF9517_zps11b770d7.jpg

Various sellers sell personal CO2 dischargers that work very easily also. Press it up on the nipple and pull the trigger and WOOSH out the barrel it goes.

Steve

I think I already know the answer. So to much lube doesn't settle int he business end of the barrel. I will have to try this out. Especially with the Lyman and its patent breach. GOOD TIP!!! Thank you

When I used to work in a Gun Shop we had good luck with bullet pullers and when we knew the customer and could trust what he said was in the barrel we woul try shooting it out . But if all ealse failed we would pull the nipple and screw in a grease fitting and pump them out with a grease gun . Not fun to clean up but better than spending hours on one muzzel loader when the rack was full of other jobs waiting .

Why is that? This is new to me. Enquiring mine wanna know?

Yup - if you store them muzzle up oil pools in the breech and fire channel. This can cause misfires the next time you go to shoot it.

Which is why I always snap 3-4 caps on my first shot prior to loading - to blow out the fire channel.

Steve

Alternatively, if you have an inline with a removable breech plug you can store it with the breech plug out.

What maillemaker said. I got a charge stuck in my .54 cal Hawken. Soaked the bore in oil, used a screw type ball remover, messed up my ram rod in the process, and finally in desperation (hunting season was only days away) I purchased the CO2 kit. 10 minutes after I got home with the kit, the ball was out of the barrel. Have never used it since, but if I ever get another ball stuck in the bore, the fix is in my closet.

Psalm 7,
But if all ealse failed we would pull the nipple and screw in a grease fitting and pump them out with a grease gun

Been there done that. Yes it sucks to clean but it works and that's the good part.

You can also get a compressor and air nozzle with rubber tip. With the nipple removed press the air nozzle against the flash hole and point the gun in a safe direction. Sometimes the air will shoot the grease out like a sticky snake. It's fun to watch just don't get in the way.

Back