stuck and stripped screws

Ron L

I'd really like to put a scope on my Marlin 1894CS, but the small screws that fill in the screw holes in the top of the receiver are really stuck in there and the slots are fairly stripped out already.

I tried letting a little penetrating oil sit on the screws, and then wiped the oil off and only tried once for each screw so's not to mess them up any worse than they already are, but they wouldn't budge.

If I can't back them out of the top, could I screw them all the way through the reciever and remove them from the inside? Any other ideas?

------------------
Ron

Detroit Area Chapter
Terra-Haute Torque & Recoil Scoiety

[This message has been edited by Ron L (edited September 01, 1999).]

Try putting some more penetrating oil on them and then heating them with a hair drier. If that doesn't work, try some ice. Because the screw and the reciever are made of different metal,the screws and the reciever should expand and contract at different rates. Usually some heat or cold will cause one of them to contract and pull away from the other enough to loosen the screws.

Chuck

One other question. They wouldn't have used Loctite at the factory to keep them from backing out on their own would they?

------------------
Ron

Detroit Area Chapter
Terra-Haute Torque & Recoil Scoiety

No to Loc-Tite at the factory. At least the ones on my Marlin come out with ease. Did you buy it new or used? Did you get it wet at one time where the screws could have rusted in place?

Did you try giving them a "thunk" with a small punch to jar them loose? Sometimes the blow would break the bond and let the screw move.

I don't think that the screw holes go all the way throught the receiver so you could not run them out the bottom.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited September 01, 1999).]

If you have a drill press, try putting the screwdriver into the chuck, putting the rifle (padded) into the drill press vice, and use the press to keep the bit in the slot. If that fails, you can try drilling the screws out or drilling them and using an EZ Out; plug screws are not as hard as the mount screws. Whether you can simply run them through the receiver depends on whether the hole is blind or not.

Jim

Before drillng, try the penetrating oil/heat with some grip enhancer - it's like syrup with sand in it, but not as sticky. You can get it at Sears.

Back