Stubborn Copper Fouling

CajunBass

I've got a 1924 Parker Trogan that a previous owner must have shot copper plated shot through. The Lord only knows how long it's been in there.

I've been plugging along with it using Shooters Choice but it's slow going.

Got any other ideas?

Thanks Brian. I'll look for that the next time I'm at the LGS.

Is it hurting anything? Probably not. It's just something I started doing, and want to get it done. That's all.

Industrial strength ammonia will remove all of it. It will even remove copper the best copper cleaners leave behind but it will also remove bluing instantly.

My dad chucks bronze brushes in a cordless drill for his smooth-bores. It doesn't seem to hurt anything but it sure feels wrong.:D

My dad chucks bronze brushes in a cordless drill for his smooth-bores. It doesn't seem to hurt anything but it sure feels wrong.

Been doing that myself. :D

After a few hundred hand passes through the barrel, suddenly it doesn't seem so wrong. ;)

Is it hurting anything?

Hmm. These guys would disagree.

the bore is not protected from pittling and corrosion because the oil cannot get to the steel because of the copper "plating"

A friend of mine is a metalergist, he says that two different metals like copper and barrel steel left unattended, will cause electrolisis and the steel will be the one that suffers causing pitting.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=647867&highlight=copper+fouling

Well, just to fill everyone in, I've gotten most of it, and am working on the rest.

You should see the bright shiney bores. :D

Butch's Bore Shine? Used it in the .30-06, seemed to get the job done. You're going to need something volatile to get fouling that old out of the bore.

Good to see you made progress with it.

Back