Structured Barrels - One Hole Accuracy and Longer Barrel Life?

The claim is equal stiffness for barrels of the same weight and length. That's true.

Holeing or fluting a given barrel removes metal that made it stiff. There's now less metal to resist bending. They then are less stuff and bend more from forces applied.

A solid barrel properly stress relieved and fit to the action will not walk shots away from aim point starting at ambient temperature then to very hot firing several dozen shots 15 seconds apart

Last edited:
Larger outside diameter is what makes for greater stiffness. All the holes do is reduce the weight.

Look up the engineering term "column bending". Simplest put: Think of a long tube, loaded on each end. The greater the tube diameter, the more force is required to make it crumple. And, before crumpling, begin to bend.

Art, those 6 holes make the barrel less stiff plus weigh less.

Every square unit of metal cross section between bore and outer profile you remove reduces the barrel's resistance to stretching or compressing from some external force on a fixed breech barrel. The amount depends on how far each unit is, and its direction from, bore center.

What is stiffer....

A 2 foot long, 1 inch diameter 25 caliber straight barrel blank

A 2 foot long, 1 inch diameter 50 caliber straight barrel blank

A 2 foot long, 1 inch diameter 99 caliber straight barrel blank

Last edited:
What is stiffer....

A 2 foot long, 1 inch diameter 25 caliber straight barrel blank

A 2 foot long, 1 inch diameter 50 caliber straight barrel blank

More appropriate, what is stiffer, 1" barrel with one hole or a 2.25" barrel with 7 holes that weighs the same?

Well, it worked for Mr Maxim and Mr Browning. For versions of "match."
There were some cooled barrel varmint rifles for fields of prairie dogs.

An airplane wing is very strong and light. Truss bridges are stronger and lighter than they would be if solid. That's what engineering is all about. I just wonder how much engineering went into the design of the drilled barrels that are just coming along.

I'd be a little skeptical about long-term pressure effects, especially near the chamber. There could be some distortion if the metal thickness isn't sufficient in that area. Perhaps the holes don't even extend to the chamber area.

A good barrel properly fit to the receiver will not shoot bullets away from point of aim very much shooting 40 shots once every 15 seconds; 4 to 5 shots per minute. Less than an inch away at 600 yards, group under 2 inches extreme spread

People testing ammo in rifles for rapid fire matches shooting 10 shots in 60 seconds at 300 yards into sub half MOA groups.

If it proves out, they will sell well. My twist: "Be not the first to choose what's new, nor the last to accept the proven."

never heard of this method. ive used cryo treatment on barrels and it really works. also vibratory stress treatment of barrels work. if you combine all three and use the right length of bullet to the twist of the bore and the caliber, should be a real shooter. sounds interesting. putting lots of rubber o rings on your barrel really cuts down on vibration. a cheap way to do it. works also.

I want my barrels to vibrate mostly in the vertical plane so slower bullets leave at higher angles to the line of sight than faster ones.

I'd look at "Structured Barrels" like this:

For the real professionals whose livelihood (and lives) depend on an ultra-precision and accurate weapon, how many are using structured barrels (vs. something else)?

My guess is not may.

Back