Stripping stock

tote4570

Hello, I have a Marlin 60 Glenfield that I want to fix up a little bit. The first thing I'm going to do is refinish the stock. What is the best way to strip off old stain off a rifle stock?
I know I can sand but there is some checker in and engraving on the stock that I don't want to mess up.

Sand to the checkering, and use about any paint remover. Paint the remover on the checkering with a brush, let is soak, then remove the softened finish with a soft toothbrush, then wipe it off. I use a gel type remover, but can't remember the brand. I buy it by the quart from hardware stores or Lowes.

Same way you strip a table. Wood is wood. Use the same products and techniques used on fine furniture. Even though your Marlin very likely has a birch stock. Birch can be made pretty with tung oil.
"...Sand to the checkering..." Tooth brush works well too.

I don't like removing old coatings with sanding. Paint stripper works much better. Multiple applications if needed. Be careful with tooth brush though. The paint stripper may dissolve it. I use card board and tooth picks.

For the finish, I like oil. Tung oil or walnut oil is my favorite. Don't like linseed oil. Definitely no polyurethane. Sometimes I use shellac. Sort of spill over from my woodworking experience.

-TL

Back