Stripped threads on Al frame 1911 grip bushings!

Allen_Raiford

I removed the grip bushings on my Kimber Aluminum Compact to install slimline grips.
The threads came out along with the bushing on two holes.
NOW WHAT?? Help!

http://www.brownells.com The answer to many questions. They have oversized grip screw bushings and the needed tap to thread the frame holes. I don't know if they have the right height bushings for your slim line stocks or not.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

Thanks. I know now one of the disadvantages of aluminum frames. Too bad Kimber didn't use a little anti-seize compound when they assembled it.

The bushings are threaded into the frame, did you actually strip the threads in the frame, or just remove the bushings? If it's the latter, you can just install them with some locktite and go. I know that my bushings have come out in several 1911's when removing the grips, but no damage resulted.

Allen, stock screw bushings in the 1911 are screwed in and then staked in place to hold them. In a steel frame you can normally take them out without stripping the threads if you're careful but in an alloy frame it is very difficult. Your only answer here is what JimV told you. You'll have to drill & tap oversize and use different stock screws. As he said Brownells carries everything you'll need. It might be cheaper to ask your local smith what he'd charge to drill and tap the holes for you. George

When you get everything ready to go back together, use the type of LocTite which is meant to hold bearings in place. It's the best stuff, this side of welding.

If you can get the grip screws out of the bushings, you might try "gluing" the bushings back into place with the LocTite. No guarantees, but it's cheap...

:), Art

Another option that you might concider is to get some good epoxy or JB weld and use that to reattach the bushings to the frame. I have a LW Commander that started to do the same thing, and after I cleaned the piece with Acetone and used the JB Weld, the bushings have held tight. Admittedly, there still was some threads showing in the holes, but I feared that the bushings wouldn't hold tight anymore. Haven't had any problems since. Let us know how it works out for you.

Unkel Gilbey

Hi, Allen,

At the risk of being redundant, Jim V told you what to do, and George told you, so don't make things worse trying some off the wall fix to save a couple of bucks.

Jim

Back