Stripped Screw Weaver Mounts??

orsogato

Hi all.

I have a problem. I was attempting to change my mounts on my m700. My mounts are weaver style. I wanted to put Leupold mounts.

Anyway. I stripped two of the screws and I can't get my bases off.

I haven't taken this thing to a smith yet but,
Any suggestions. Like an idiot, I stripped these things pretty bad.

The good news is that the bases are still on there "real damn tight". If the smith cant get the screws out, do you think I should "locktite" the bases in. I can still use the weaver rings.

The screws maybe rusted on or lacquered or epoxied. Carefully drill the heads off the screws and lift the bases off. Soak the screws with liquid wrench or similar penetrating oil. You should be able to grab the remainder of the screw with vicegrips and twist it out.

Clean the screw hole out with an appropriate tap and install the new bases.

debee the only prob with that is the tap is hard to find. Drilling the head off and using vice grips works sometimes. There is a possiblility that locktite was used on these screws but orsogato ypu didn't have any prob with the other 2 screws? Are the heads common screwdriver or allen head? Tell you what to try, get a flat punch and flatten the heads back down by tapping with a hammer. Alot of times that loosens them up. Try the screwdriver again, but tapp on it with a hammer at the same time you try to turn it, (you may have to get the wife/girlfriend) If it is an allen head get an EZ out that will fit tight in the head and grab the EZ out with vice grips then tap with a hammer.

------------------
A son is the best friend you'll ever have!

Thanks for replys

The screws are flathead screws. I'm gonna see if the smith can get em off.

No I had no problem w/ 2 of the 4 screws, so I dont think they are locktited. But damn they are really on there.

I may try the liquid wrench before I take to smith. ANd also get the hair dryer out to try to expand metal.

This problem should be solveable. I'd hate to be "stuck" with the weaver bases. Although if it came down to that, I guess that would't be too bad.
I will keep ya posted. Thanks

Good info for him, but as to the taps being hard to find............if they are the standard 6-48 that most are, Brownells has them for $1.48. Less in quantities of 5 or more. Get several if you have more than a couple jobs. Taps that small do break easily.

Back