Strikes #2 and #3

From the Australian Broadcasting Commission:

Customs officers in Sydney have seized a cache of weapons brought into Australia from the United States.

The Australian Customs Service says officers found the pistols, pistol parts and ammunition concealed in two air-conditioning compressors sent to two air courier companies in Sydney.

Federal police have arrested a 56-year-old man from Kellyville, in Sydney's north-west.

He has been charged with several counts of importing a prohibited import and being in possession of an unregistered firearm.

He is due to face court on Monday.

OK, they got that one ... but how mnay others got through???

Then there's the second Asian refugee boat to track down the coast and land unchallenged. This time, the 100-foot oceangoing tug with 100 "refugees" on board made it all the way down to Coffs Harbour in NSW, ran aground on the beach, and was first spotted and reported by -- a local publican (licensee)!!!!!

Sleep safe Australia -- your ordinary citizen has had his semi-auto .22 taken off him, and your Customs Service and Navy is protecting you!!
[cynicism mode /off]

Bruce

[This message has been edited by Bruce from West Oz (edited April 11, 1999).]

"Many thanks" to our friends in Australia for being frank about what is happening there. I hope Americans are smart enough to learn from your experiences.
We Americans must quit compromising away our rights one nibble at a time. We must return to Constitutional law rather than what paternalistic tyrants try to force down our throats "for our own good".

Dennis, you're right. One of the most important stat's we can track, I would suppose, is crime rates for each state (province?) in Australia. We hear they are going up ...

Jeff,
Right. We also need to track the crime rates of individual states so we can prove crime drops in CHL states and rises in non-CHL states. Bet the NRA will be tracking that, right?

[This message has been edited by Dennis (edited April 11, 1999).]

Jeff, we have States....Not to be confused with the State we're in ! ;)

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"

[This message has been edited by HS (edited April 12, 1999).]

Jeff, Yes! (on Lott's study, I mean).
Those figures are historical. I hope somebody on "our" side is collecting figures to compare "before and after" CHLs become "shall issue".
If crime drops in shall-issue states, and remains level or increases in non-shall issue states, that would be the icing on the cake.
Then we could prove that the only arguments against self-defense issues are emotional power plays which totally disregard our safety - "as these new figures proove!" (Kinda what I was thinking.) Hopefully this would weaken Sarah Brady's side and strengthen our side.

Back