Striker channel "packing grease" ???

NevadaBob

I've been in a discussion about cleaning out the "packing grease" in the striker channel on a brand new striker fired 9mm (Taurus). My point is that the manual doesn't say anything about doing this while the other party is adamant about tearing things apart. Is this necessary? I'm opting for leaving well enough alone.

I have never seen or heard of a modern handgun that comes from the distributor with it in "packing grease". It would seem the day of cosmoline packed guns has been long over.

I'd clean it out. I don't want anything that will impede the forward movement of the striker. There was a Rem 700 that wouldn't fire. After the bolt was disassembled and cleaned, it worked perfectly.

I own a couple striker fired guns and one of the problems that can arise from a striker fired gun is the firing pin channel getting gummed up with burnt powder and trash.

I would clean it and apply a very light coating of oil and re-assemble.

Removing the firing pin is easy and straight forward operation - YouTube is your friend.

I have never seen or heard of a modern handgun that comes from the distributor with it in "packing grease".

I bought a NIB RIA 1911 for my GF 3 years ago. The all cavities in the slide were packed with grease. The extractor bore had metal shavings in the grease from the machining process I think. Took a few minutes to be sure it was all cleaned out and then lubed and reassembled.

I would clean it out.
Taurus striker-fired pistols tend to have issues with light strikes, even when clean and broken in.
Leaving grease in the channel when brand new... Just asking for frustration.

Why not strip it and check it out... clean if necessary. Every time i get a new gun, i like to strip it just to familiarize myself with it. If it needs cleaning, i clean it..never had to clean up a modera firearm though.... but i did have to fiddle with a RIA 1911 to get it feeding right.

I really appreciate the replies and points of view. On a simple examination of the slide underbelly and the open part of the striker channel, I really don't detect any lube. I have not been to the range yet with this pistol, I've been recuperating from surgery. So we'll see how the striker behaves when I go out. I'm from the school that says: "If it's not broke, don't fix it!" Now when someone digs into something mechanical and has no knowledge of what they've done, my reply is: "It has the same innards as a toaster!"

Went out to the range this afternoon and that 9mm Millenium G2 shot perfectly.

Last edited:
Back