strength of steel poppers for rifle?

3/8" thick AR500 works fine. M855 will leave little pockmarks in it. If you want to shoot it with any big magnums then I would go up to 1/2", but the target gets heavy.

Mild steel may work, but it will pock mark, and deform over time leading to potentially dangerous ricochets. A properly made popper will last a lifetime for an average individual.

If you are on a budget check out E-Bay. There are a number of folks selling round gongs for very reasonable prices. You can get a 10" diameter 3/8" thick AR500 plate for a bit over $50 with shipping.

Last edited:
Believe it or not, I get a lot of enjoyment using a 1' section of steel I-beam scavenged from the local steel supplier. Rifle goes right through it, but holds up very well to standard pistol rounds. I hit it with some hi-viz paint to see it better at 50 yards.

1/2" mild steel at 25 yards for handgun is OK . Mine is set at 45* so the bullets hit and richochet down , though they usually shatter first. It's good for 44 mag.

The problem with mild steel of any thickness is that it will get dented and when you just have to see what a high velocity bullet does, it will get cratered. Any irregularity will throw pieces of bullet back at the shooter. The IPSC minimum distance to a steel target is 11 meters and even that is not enough if the plate is rough.

Back