Strength of Mauser Actions?

saands

Before you jump to say that they are strong, let me finish the question ;)

Are the Turk Mauser actions essentially equivalent in strength to the others, like, a German K98K? I am interested in building up a rifle and want to know if I should look for something other than a Turk. Also, I have read that .300 Win Mag is an acceptable rebarrel for a 98 Mauser ... do people have any experience with these? There seem to be more Remington take-off barrels available for the .300 Win Mag than the .308 and they will fit nicely (with new threads) in the smaller ID of the Turk action.

Thanks in advance ...
Saands

[Edited by saands on 05-19-2001 at 11:26 AM]

Saands. Don't know about the Turks, but a few things you have to look out for. Many of the Mausers built for the 8MM cartridge have magazines too short for 30-06 length cartridges, although they can be altered. Then the rails have to be opened up for the fatter round, and the bolt face must be opened up for the larger head size of the magnum rounds.
Paul B.

I have a 98 Mauser chambered in .300 Win. Shoots as good as I do. Paul's right about the "extra" work that needs to be done to make a Mauser happily eat magnum cased ammo though. If you don't want to have the extra work done you might consider a caliber like the '06 Ackley or .30 Gibbs

Saands, I know of several Turks rebarreled to magnum rounds but I won't chamber one in a magnum. There is a lot of controversy about who made them and where. I've seen some stamped GEW 98 on the side of the receiver but most aren't. To be safe they are fine for standard conversions but I'd recommend a VZ-24 for magnums. George

Paul: Thanks ... I was aware of the possibility of short mag wells and the necessity to open the face of the bolt. I figured that the bolt would get sent out to a smith and get bent (for a scope) and opened in the same trip.

George: Are the VZ-24's the standard large ring? If so, what are the options for barrels. The idea of rethreading a take-off from a Remington 700 was pretty appealing (really good value) are their similar options available for the large ring Mauser actions?

Saands, the VZ-24s are standard large ring 98 actions. You can't rethread the shank of a take-off to fit it. There isn't enough meat. The least expensive option I know of would be an A&B bbl from Midway.

Also you should wait until the bolt has returned from the smith to set your headspace. Opening the bolt face will change it as it will be trued up at the same time. George

Back