Straw Sale

BerettaCougar

I bought a Beretta Stampede in 45LC.
The intent is to give it to my father as a gift (Christmas gift)

I was proud of my life accomplishments, a few years ago I could not afford a beauty like this, atleast without saving up for it. Now I can. I know now to watch what I say, this is why.

So while picking out the Beretta, I said to myself "which would he like" and the sales guy told me he could not sell me a gun if the intent was to give it to someone else, he then told me that if he did, he would be guilty of assisting in a straw sale, and I would be facing jail time. WHAT IN THE CRAP?

I don't get it, the firearm is property, I buy the property, I can do with it as I wish, no? (of course all safety boundaries respected).
I bought the Beretta anyway, for myself until I can get this issue cleared up. Question is, FTF sales are legal, but I cannot give a gun away? This is unclear to me, please explain this to me.

Is a way around this to sell it for 1 cent? or trade for a stick of gum?

It's not a straw sale to buy a gun as a gift for someone else, as long as the recipient of the gift is not ineligible to possess it.

In my state FFL dealers are okay with you buying a firearm as a gift for a family member. Last year my wife bought me a gun for my birthday; we went into the pawn shop and I picked out the gun and then she filled out the paperwork and paid for it. A straw purchase is when you act as a purchasing agent for someone else, as in, "hey man, here's the money, go into the store and buy the one I like." Main thing is don't be buying for people who can't legally do it themselves (minors, felons, etc). If you buy a gun today and then next week you freind offers to buy from you; that's not a straw purchase, just a sale of personal property. Your local FFL wants your business, but he dosen't want to loose his license either. He is usually a good person to ask if your not sure.

Tell the sales person to drag out a 4473 and read the important notices where it says Mr. Brown can buy a firearm to give to Mr. Black as a present.

a simple case of not reading the instructions.

State law might have some provisions...but Federal laws says its okay to buy it with your money and present it as a gift.

Back