Strategy for selecting proper HD/SD ammo: pump shotgun v. semi-auto handgun

ezmiraldo

Hey guys! I've been into pistols for a while, and am new to shotguns. I need to run something by you. With semi-automatic pistols a good strategy is to choose high-quality expanding-bullet ammo for SD and make sure it cycles well in one's gun. It is advisable to shoot this (generally expensive) ammo regularly, to make sure one's gun functions well with it.

But how about pump-action shotgun? It appears that it should cycle pretty much everything (especially high-quality expensive ammo). If this is correct, would it be a good idea to buy expensive high-quality ammo for SD, but practice with cheap ammo of the same size/weight/recoil level (to keep recoil management and other manipulations consistent in practice and real-life)? Or, do you still have to use your expensive SD shotgun ammo regularly during practice?

Looking forward for your thoughts on this. Thank you.

Last edited:
I'd run a couple rounds of your HD stuff thru it at a pattern board just to make sure it is shooting where you are pointing. Not much need to practice with it after that.

Make sure it functions well with your intended HD ammo and then play around as much as you like with the cheaper stuff.

I think a pump action is much more forgiving than a semi-auto pistol. Only thing I can ever remember hearing didn't work right was the short defensive rounds like these.
I recommend shooting a fair amount of whatever your defensive round is before relying on it. Some of the 12ga slugs and buck shot are pretty punishing without a decent recoil reduction device installed.

No. 4 buck is the minimum I would use. 00 Buck would be my first choice with slugs for refill (side saddle and speed feed stock that holds four extra shot shells).

IMHO, test a few boxes of whatever u decide on for HD. Practice with bird shot and at the end of each range session shoot a few rounds of the good stuff just so u can be reminded of the difference in recoil and will be better prepared for it in a situation where your life depends on it.

Back