strange problem with Kimber Raptor 2

radmeter

Inactive
Kimber 1911 , I have 2 Kimber Pro Mags and 4 standard kimber mags. When using the std mags the slide locks back after the 3, 4 or 5th shot. When using the Pro mags I don't have any problems I am lost on this one. HELP:confused:

It sounds like the bullet ogive might be contacting the slide stop. Are you using the same ammo, including the same bullet shape, in both mags? Or might the standard magazines fit the magazine well so that can happen.

An easy check is to remove the slide, then re-install the slide stop. Looking down into the frame as you try different magazines and loads should let you see what is happening.

Jim

Strange problem with Kimber Raptor 2

Yes same ammo used in 4 of the Kimber standard mags and the 2 Kimber Pro mags. will try removing slide

I removed slide and reinserted slide stop, checked clearance with empty mag and loaded mag and pushed rounds out one at a time with both std mag and Pro mag. There was no difference and could not see any cause for problem with slide stop. Measured diameter of slide stop and compared it with other slide stops, and it was the same (.199)., will try to go to range today. I am a reloader and use the same ammo for my S&W, Colt GC & 2 Springfield 1911's with no problem. This Kimber has been a problem since day one. I had to change the slide stop retainer spring. It was too weak and caused the stop to move out and Jam the slide. I have a number of different manufactures 1911 including and old AMT hardballer and never had a problem with any of them. I have purchased 2 Kimbers my FIRST & LAST..

Everything can be fixed except maybe a broken heart.
If you intend to keep this shootin' iron, it might be beneficial to take it to someone experienced with 1911 repair.
They might catch something you've missed, just from experience.
It would be a shame to abandon something useful and desirable if there was a simple fix for it.
Of course, the obvious cure would be to get more of the magazines that work and chuck the ones that don't.
See how simple life can be?

Back