Strange HK pistol

RON 1

I recently say in a local pawn shop a HK pistol the model no. was vp 70 or just v 70 cant remember but it was 9mm and looked like something fron a buck rogers space movie, anyone familiar with this gun and what is it worth it was like new in the box

Ron,

What you were looking at is the HK VP70z, which was developed in the late 1960's and went into production in the early 1970's. In spite of what is often said about the Glock being the first polymer frame production pistol, they were not. The HK VP70z beat the Glock by about 10 years making it the first production polymer frame pistol. The VP70z is a straight blow back (non-locked breech) 9mm striker fired pistol. It relies solely on the weight of the slide and the rather heavy recoil spring to keep the action closed until the bullet has exited the barrel.

To find out a bit more about this unique pistol check out this web site: http://www.hkpro.com/VP70.htm

The VP70z is interesting as a footnote in HK history. Magazine capacity was 18 rounds and the trigger is a fairly heavy long pull that is often referred to as double action only even though it isn't. It is a striker fired (no hammer) design that is different than the Glock in that the striker is not partially set by the action of the slide cycling. In other words, if the striker does not set the primer off when the trigger is pulled through there is no need to cycle the slide. The trigger can be released then pulled through again and again to try and ignite the round.

I have a VP70z that I have had for quite a few years so can't really give a value for it in today's market. But I suspect it should be in the $500 to $700 range depending on condition. They are accurate but difficult to shoot well because of the long heavy trigger and the somewhat odd front sight rangement (check the web site shown above to see what I mean). While the VP70z is a physically large pistol, most of that is due to the big slide required for this blow-back pistol. The grip itself is actually quite narrow and comfortable to hold though the trigger reach can be long for small hands.

I hope this helps.
Best,
Don

Also, the VP70 can be made to fire 3 shot burst at an incredible fire rate with a special buttstock. The 3 burst switch is on the buttstock so it is necessary for firing the weapon that way.

Those buttstocks only work with the VP70, not the VP70z, and are very expensive, both in dollars and in risk of being visited by F-Troop.

SKS,

The VP70 & VP70m can be used with the butstock but the VP70z (civilian) version will not accept it.

Best,
Don

Back