Strange FN 49

jmten

Inactive
I'm interested in an FN Model 1949. I have not seen one like it before. It's a 30-06 caliber with a parkerized finish. Unlike all the others I have seen it does not have a country stamped crest on the front receiver hood like A L for Luxembourg. Is this a Buba or some other contract?

Wikipedia says: "Indonesia, the Belgian Congo, and Colombia would make up the fifth to seventh contracts all produced in caliber .30-06."

Might be one of those.

Thanks Tidewater-Kid, I think it's a Belgium contract rifle. I wonder if it was parkerized during production or if it was a later armory application.

Parkerising is an American brand name for manganese(black finish) or zinc(shades of gray, depending on the metal it went on, finish.) based metal finishes. Other countries used black phosphate. Don't think there's any way to tell the difference by just looking though.
You can tell how "fresh" a finishing job is. Any sign of the finish being worn? Picture the finish on an M1 Rifle and how the finish can look worn off.
FN-49's were only made by FN in Belgium. However, there doesn't seem to be a good site with all the markings. Most places(a lot being just copies of the Wikipedia blurb) are saying very few non-Luxembourg .30-06 rifles made it Stateside. Then there's this that does list receiver markings by country.
http://weaponsman.com/?p=34897
Blake Steven's book 'The FN49 – the Rifle That Ran out of Time' would be the one to buy. He's kind of a thorough guy.
https://www.amazon.com/FN49-Rifle-That-Ran-Time/dp/0889355266

T O'Heir,
From the picture I thought it was parkarized however, I now believe it's flat gray paint. From what I understand that would be correct for a Belgium contract rifle.
Thanks also for the great links.

One note on Belgian markings: The ABL on Belgian rifles is the official abbreviation for "Belgian Army" in the nation's two official languages. The large letter B is for Belgian (Belgique/Belge), flanked by the initials of the words for "Army" in French (Armee Belgique) and Dutch (Belge Leger).

Jim

A lot of European military weapons have a coating that looks a lot like old fashioned stove enamel applied over Parkerizing. Ok, phosphatizing. Cheap and protective. Not saying that is definitely what you have, but I have seen the like.

Both the French and the Belgians apply black paint to their rifles, as did the British at times. Applied over steel (with a bonding agent) paint is a pretty good protective and prevents light reflection. Further, unlike bluing or phosphate coating, it can be easily touched up or completely refinished with simple equipment, and adheres well to any metallic surface.

Jim

Back