Strange barrel condition on NEW Ruger?

AzFAL

Inactive
I just bought a NEW stainless 4" Ruger GP100 yesterday. After getting home I used a bore light to take a look at the quality of the rifling & overall appearance of the barrel. To my suprise the barrel lands & grooves were very "liney". It's got a shiny finish but w/ all kinds of very fine lines in the finish going length ways.

Is this normal w/ Ruger's bbls.? I compared it to the bbl. of my Springfield 1911 .45 & it didn't have that "liney" finish just a smooth mirror like finish.

Also, I know this gun was test fired at the factory, should I nomally see noticeable copper-jacket fouling as I do on this gun?

Is this bbl. messed-up or is it a nomal Ruger bbl. & will the "liney" finish hurt my accuracy?

TIA

The 'liney' finish will have no effect on accuracy. May have some effect on barrel fouling, especially with lead bullets.
If it's bad enough to bother you, send it back to Ruger for a replacement barrel. It sure won't get any better.

First of all, welcome to TFL, AzFAL!

The lines are normal, I've noticed them in both a GP-100 and a Super Redhawk. Even so, it is impossible to know if they, or anything, will affect your accuracy, since you haven't established an accuracy level with that gun at this point. If you are a normal shooter, anything from novice to expert, you will have a lot more effect on the accuracy than the lines in the barrel will.

The fouling is also normal. My theory is that gun makers want you to know that they test fired the gun and leave it fouled, If they sent it out all bright and shiny in the barrel, I for one, would have some doubt as to whether it will work for that first shot.

Welcome,
I just looked at a couple of my Rugers the GP100 I have is also like that and so is my Security Six, but my Redhawk is not. If you are uneasy about it, call Ruger they will take care of it.
Scott

Don't fret it. Outside and in, Rugers are not pretty-just utilitarian. And they ARE built to last several lifetimes. My Super Redhawk 44 mag is the same way. Accuracy is fantastic. Enjoy yours!

Back