Stovepiping Sig 228

Swamp Yankee

Looking for some help please.

I picked up a lnib Sig 228 with 2 factory 13 round mags a couple of weeks ago. I took it to the range yesterday morning for its first workout. I believe I uncovered the reason why the pistol was traded in such pristine condition. About every third or fourth round the gun would stovepipe.

I started with my reloads (124 gr West Coast PRN,4.3 gr W231). These function flawlessly in my Glock and Beretta's. I changed magazines with the same results. Figuring the gun didn't like my reloads I went out to the counter and bought a box of USA 115 gr ball. Same results, jam every 3 or 4 rounds, both mags. Finally I dug around in my range bag and found a box of Speer 124 gr Gold Dots. You guessed it, same results.

Went back out to the counter and talked to the range owner. As there was no one else in the place I asked if he could try a clip. He obliged, you guessed it, same results. We then tried firing with the mag removed. Same results. Our final attempt at isolating the problem, the owner went in the back and found a P228 recoil spring. We swapped out the spring and tried again. Same results using both clips and different ammo.

Other than the marks left from the slide in the stovepiped rounds the brass looks normal, no signs of dents or scratches.

I really like the feel of the pistol and was shooting some decent groups with it.

Sig's facility in New Hampshire is about a 2 hour drive. Prior to heading up, I was hoping some of you good people might have some suggestions.

As always thanks in advance for the responses.
Take Care

My guess: weak extractor tension. The extractor should hold the case firmly until the case reaches the ejector. Otherwise, the case won't strike the ejector properly and be thrown clear.

Whatever the cause of the stovepipes, SIG will probably take care of the problem with little or no hassle. A P228 is a world-class pistol, and in the end it will prove to be a fine acquisition.

Possible problems: bad extractor, bad ejector, dirty/dry gun (affecting slide speed). I'll rule out shooter error in that it happened to two shooters at the same frequency. Any of the above are easy fixes, and like Jimmy said, I'm sure Sig will make it right. Good luck.

Are things like this the reason there are so many used SIGS for sale. I had a similiar experience with a 220 but that is a long story and I want go into it.

From personal experience, SIG customer service is world-class. The only DA/SA autoloader I will carry is a SIG. My 229 has 1300+ rounds though it with zero malfunctions. Mine went back for a trigger job, no charge. Nice people. I would send it back post haste. Rob

RON 1:
Are things like this the reason there are so many used SIGS for sale.

If so, that's probably why I always find such good deals on used Sigs. As others have mentioned: weak extractors and dry slides are cheap/easy fixes. Sig Arms has great customer service, and happily replaces parts and makes repairs.

My P228 has always been flawless, but a friend had trouble with a P220 similar to what Swamp Yankee is experiencing. The extractor spring was weak. The repair took all of 10 minutes and cost him less than $20 IIRC. He's had no problems since.

So, Swamp Yankee -- take heart. Sig Arms will take care of you.

Back