Story of a Colt Navy............

Bob Wright

The posts regarding the Open Top revolvers, especially the 1851 Colt Navy. reminded me of a story regarding my uncle.

My uncle lived in the Red Boiling Springs community of middle
Tennessee many years ago, and carried a Colt Navy while making his rounds. Whether a conversion or not, I never knew, as this story was related to me by my cousin. One night, while making his rounds, they passed a cemetery on a bright moonlit night. Suddenly, from one of the graves an infant sprang up and flew up behind him and his party. The specter of the infant leaped up onto the flanks of my uncles horse but was unable to hold on, sliding off to the rear, raking the horse's flanks with its fingernails, and resting on his rump in the road behind them. My uncle drew his Colt and fired, and saw that his bullets penetrated the apparition and kicked up dust in the road. They fled the the scene very quickly.

Bob Wright

The Colt's Navy was the best handling
pistol of its day and long after.

Had I been decades earlier than I have,
I would have carried a Navy .36 and when
on nights that the demons took hold of
me and I saw pink elephants, I would have
dispatched them immediately.

The elephants, that is, but in the morning
I would have handled the demons with
coffee and aspirin.

Its a small world. I haven't seen any ghost babies, but I live a few miles east of Red Boiling Springs as long as the one your uncle lived in is the one in Clay County. The name of the hotel escapes me, but RBS actually has a history of hauntings in one of its old hotels as well. I think one of the ghost hunter type television series did an episode on the hotel.

BearBrimstone said:

Its a small world. I haven't seen any ghost babies, but I live a few miles east of Red Boiling Springs as long as the one your uncle lived in is the one in Clay County. The name of the hotel escapes me, but RBS actually has a history of hauntings in one of its old hotels as well. I think one of the ghost hunter type television series did an episode on the hotel.

Red Boiling Springs is in Macon County, near Lafayette. The hotels I am most familiar with are the Donoho House and the Red Boiling Inn. Most of the ghost stories were originated by moonshiners to keeps folks away from their stills at night. The town was a spa in its day, and visitors had a thirst for more that the sulfur waters there.

"Corn don't grow on Rocky Top,
Dirt's too rocky by far,
That's why folks in Rocky Top,
get their corn in a jar."

Bob Wright

I knew a Deputy that one night back in the middle 1950s was near a grave yard and shot a ghost he saw, turned out to be a illegal who had crossed the boarder. He was teased for ever about that. He got the nick name Ghost Killer.

Red Boiling Springs is in Macon County, near Lafayette.

Yeah thats the one. I got my thoughts a bit jumbled and said the wrong county. What my post should have said was something more along the lines of I live a few miles east of Red Boiling Springs in Clay County as long as your uncle lived in the Red Boiling Springs in Macon County.

Back