Storing your gun when out of town

Roland Thunder

I have a little dilemma. I am going to be working out of town for a while. I will be staying in an extended stay motel to start out with. I drive an SUV that, like most SUV's doesn't have a trunk, just a rear end compartment that you get to my opening the hatch (or reaching over the back seat). I want to take one or 2 of my guns with me so I can go to the range while I am gone plus for personal protection when I am out and about. Conceal carry is not an issue as the state I am going to reciprocates with my state and I have a CCW. My dilemma is where to store it when I am not carrying it. I am quite sure I cannot carry it while at work, I may not be able to even keep it in my car in the company parking lot, I don't know, I haven't seen their policy on that. I am afraid to leave it in the hotel room while I am gone and I am afraid someone might break into my car and steal it while I am at work. The car does have a retractable cover in the rear cargo area that will cover anything on the storage area.

Any suggestions (outside of putting a safe in my car)

I assume we are talking of hand guns.
You might check with the hotel if they have a safe in the room.
Some hotel provide this. May be not the best safe in the world but better than nothing.
You don't need to tell them what you are storing in it I suppose.
Just my 2 cents.

I have descetely stored guns in locked cases at a storage facility. Depending on the unit, you might even be able to lock the case to the wall. Plan to have a way to keep off the ground.

At work, learn the laws and company policies. There is often wiggle room which will allow storage in your vehicle. In general, I would not reccomend discussing with your employer as then it will possibly become a I think, I believe, hey what do you think discussion where everyone in the office will know your plan/intent which opens you to theft, odd ball reporting, made up policy, etc.

If it's a auto take them apart .slide and barrel off the frame .Bolt rifles take the bolts out .The guns are use less if not in one working order. My bolt guns are stored in two pieces at home .

Put a lockable container in the car, out of sight, and firmly attached to the car.
Maybe under the hood, as long as you retrieve it before driving away.

I may have been a little unclear of my intentions. My plan is to use my guns about once a week to go to the range, so I just need to store them in between trips. I'm not going to be putting them away for extended periods to where I would need to rent a storage unit. I figure if I store it in the motel safe, if they even have one, the are probably going to get suspicious if I keep going down there to get something out and then put it back a few hours later.

Thanks for all the suggestions, keep 'em coming.

Buy a small lock box with a cable,,,

I work at a university so I must leave my handgun in my car during work time.

I bought one of these lock boxes from Cabela's,,,
The cable wraps around the passenger seat leg braces,,,
The box itself then gets stuffed underneath the passenger seat.

It works for me,,,

Aarond

This may not work for you but, 35 years ago I worked for an oil company 30 days on, 30 days off. At the time I only had three handguns. I rented a safety deposit box to put the guns in while I was gone. You'll obviously have a problem if you can't get to the bank on Fridays but only you now if that would fit in your schedule.

Call me crazy, but I depend on my car's windows and locks, along with the relatively low incidence of crime in my area. It's worked for years.

Hopefully you're worried for nothing. How many times has your car been broke into? Keeping things outta sight is #1 rule. Crimes of opportunity are just that. Park where SUV is most visible and nothing out to be seen through windows. A locked vehicle does wonders!
Think like a criminal. Where would you look for valuables? Glove box-console etc.
Is the spare tire underneath or inside lift up compartment? If inside put under tire.
Is there room under dash?
Velcro under seat to bottom of seat cushion.
False bottom of console. Etc. you get the idea. Most wont take the time to search like a Tijuana border guard.
As far as leaving in hotel room I'm afraid you're on your own and the integrity of the help staff. I think most are honest but you may get creative with Velcro to inside of top of closet door with paper bag or something over it. You would have to be inside closet looking up and out like a contortionist to see it.
In the co parking lot, unless they have gun sniffing dogs... Use your own judgement IMO.

Last edited:
Hotels & motels....

I've worked off & on in the hotel/lodging industry in a urban area with many tourists/business travelers. I also lived & worked as a armed security officer staying in extended stay chains/hotels as a guest while doing storm recovery details in the 2000s(Ivan/Wilma).
1) Get a few gun cases/lockboxes that you can store your firearms in. Keep them in your room or closet(not your vehicle). Add a security alarm or anti-tampering system to it too. Some forum members may say people ignore alarms but in hotels/motels, some irate guest or employee will check on it.
2) If you plan to be there for a extended period, do your own linen/towel turn-in & clean your own room/unit if possible. Depending on the housekeepers, staff, etc some places do cleaning everyday, others one a week. Some property mgmt or supervisors may want to inspect the room but that's no big deal.
3) Avoid having any visitors or traffic in or by your room. I've seen contractors & truck drivers who check in, get drunk, then let anyone & everyone into their hotel room. :rolleyes: There are clever crooks & thieves out there that go around resorts/hotels looking for open doors/property/hotel key cards/etc.
4) Be alert & keep a eye on any strange or shady people/vehicles. As a security guard I had guests & residents who gave me tips/information all the time. If the hotel or motel does not have a security officer, relay the details to the mgr. They can check the CCTV/security cameras & have the people trespassed.
5) Be discreet & don't wave your guns around, show them off to any neighbors, staff, etc. Don't wear any ball caps, shirts or clothing items with a lot of gun logos or slogans. If some sneaky crook sees you going in/out & thinks he can break in & snatch your weapons, he will.
6) Avoid any rooms or locations near common areas; laundry rooms, vending machines, snack bars, ice machines, etc. Guests & visitors will constantly be in these places & they might see you/your guns. I would avoid these rooms.

In closing, if you plan to travel with any guns & ammunition, be discreet, use common sense, avoid high traffic areas, and do your own cleaning/house-keeping if possible.

Clyde

Simple way is to lock it under the seats by a typical cable lock (free at most Police Departments.) Loop it through the trigger guard and lock it to a piece of metal out of sight under the seat. I've done the same with bed springs in hotel room.

For a semi-auto ...
....I'd remove the slide and leave it in my hotel room(in my room safe or in some kind of a locked piece of luggage at least) / and put the frame in my vehicle...if I didn't want a safe or lock box in my vehicle. Separating them makes it way less likely to be stolen. If you can't have it on company property ...the fact that its basically a "machine part" if its taken apart...is probably enough to keep you out of trouble - with the slide somewhere else especially.

Revolver would be a little tougher ...to remove a cyclinder / but not a lot...

Rifles and shotguns ---you can separate barrels and receivers, etc...
----------
But the variety of lock boxes / cable locks for guns left in cars is pretty good these days ....with the top end being "gun vaults" that are custom fit to the floor of your SUV. They do keep someone from "smashing a window and quickly grabbing something"...
----------
Check your homeowners or renters insurance policy - especially for a sublimit of theft of firearms...and make sure they are still covered in a vehicle away from your home.

Of all the ideas, the best and most practical is to buy a serious lock box, not some tin tackle box-like junk.

Put the gun in the box and lock it, then use a serious security cable or chain to chain the box to something in the vehicle that can't be easily ripped out or pried apart.
Make sure it can't easily be seen from outside the vehicle.

The idea is lock the gun up in such a way that a smash and grab thief can't quickly get access to the gun.
Most car thieves do a fast break in and grab what they can. What you want to do is make it slow and difficult to get into the box or get the box out of the vehicle, especially using the standard car thief tool which is a larger screwdriver.
Few car thieves carry cutting tools and a good box and good chain or cable will need some serious cutting tools.

What you need to do is make it too slow and difficult for the thief to risk the time needed.
Park your vehicle in a well lit area and most smash and grabbers won't bother it, and if they do it'll be a very fast job.
They may find the box and really want the box but won't have the time to get it open or out.

Many police and federal agents have lockable boxes for gun storage in the vehicle. This works for them very well.

As for having the guns on a company property, the same thing applies. As long as the gun is in a locked box and out of sight they'll never know it's in the vehicle.
What they don't know won't harm them.

One thing to remember, if you take it to bank like one poster said just don't carry it open when entering bank - that kinda alarms people. Lol
You vehicle on employers land - it's your right to have whatever in your vehicle as long as its not illegal or you don't take out of vehicle. Let a employer ask to search my vehicle, no way. Then get a lawyer. Just lock up guns in vehicle. If they get stolen then they did. Call insurance. What if they get stolen at motel, motel burns down , airplane crashes into motel, etc....

I think the suggestion for a lockbox is a wise suggestion. One with a secure chain secured to the undercarriage on your seat and hidden away should attract no attention as ling as you are discreet when you unpack it or pack it away. The best idea I could suggest would be to keep the gun in the lockbox, regardless of whether you are in your car or your hotel room, and carry the gun in the box when transporting from place to place. Never let your gun be seen, only the lockbox. Use the chain when the gun is somewhere away from your control (i.e. in your car, if you decide to leave it in your room, etc.) and keep it hidden when you are around.

Let me add my two cents.

I travel quite a bit, both for work and pleasure.

Here is what I do. If not carrying on my person, I leave the gun/s in my hotel room in a locked case. (If a handgun the room may have a safe in it already that you can lock it up in by itself)

I use a Pelican type case that locks securely and holds everything inside. This case goes in my closet at the hotel and stays there. If someone breaking into your room is of real concern, more so than into the home where you live, you may want to seriously consider staying at another property.

Side note - many hotels/motels offer free breakfast and evening receptions with free beer and wine and even light dinner. To leverage your travel dollars I recommend staying at one of these places if you can. (Embassy Suites, Fairfield Inn, Staybridge Suites, etc)

Also be sure to sign up for their frequent stay "club" - if not already a member. Hilton brand hotels use HHonors. Holiday Inn (IHG Hotels) use IHG Club aka Priority Club, all hotel and motel chains that I know of have one and you can rack up a lot of points really fast. Points = free stays.

Regards,

Rob

Last edited:
Call me crazy, but I depend on my car's windows and locks, along with the relatively low incidence of crime in my area. It's worked for years.

Me too. I just toss it in the glove box and go on about my business. I never worried about parking a bass boat in a motel parking lot and nobody ever bothered them either.

Yes, I know...It happens.

That's why I have insurance.

Back