Storing guns with leather slings attached

Should you store firearms with the leather sling attached?

• Yes, this will not harme them.

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • No, this will rust or otherwise harm them.

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

blabablab

Inactive
Greetings!
I have gotten multiple opinions, but what is everyone's opinion on whether or not you should store your surplus long guns with the leather sling attached? Has anyone had any rusting problems with this? FYI, i typically treat my leather slings with picards dressing lightly if they are dry, and I typically oil all visible parts of the guns with rem oil prior to storage. I saw the wall that Ian from forgotten weapons keeps his french rifles on and they had their slings attached, which makes me think about this. Thanks!

Only leather sling I have is on my Plainfield Carbine. It's been there for eons with no fuss. If the sling is dry, it's not going to bother anything. Whole thing is about the humidity in your cabinet anyway. It's condensation that causes the grief.

Rusting is more of a concern if you store the gun in a leather case or scabbard, as most of the gun is wrapped in a moisture-retaining material.

In the case of a sling, though, the leather is only touching the gun at 2 small points. This is unlikely to cause issues, especially if you oil the gun first.

You firearms; Your call.

Storing guns with leather slings attached
Mostly based on the information provided, why do you feel you want or need to? I also use picards dressing and it's good stuff. I have never seen a reason to store slings with my firearms as they are in a safe. I know that rust can develop on the swivels and as most leathers are acid tanned, it can create a rust problem. If you remove them, then you don't have to worry about it but you must have a reason for keeping them on. ...... :confused:

Might add that I also do not store my older Carbon Steel knives in there leather sheaths. ...... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:
Back