Storage in Plastic Tubs

If you grease 'em up you can store 'em in anything.
Those Tupperware boxes aren't very secure by themselves. If the firearms are in some kind of lockable "safe", for lack of a better word, you really don't need a plastic box.

If you are looking for climate control, no, wouldn't advise it. Depending on where you live and where you store, it could actually "rain" inside the box. You'll find a plethora of discussions on TFL regarding the storage of weapons, ammunition and components as it pertains to climate control. Do a basic search.

Best of luck.

We store our Christmas decorations in those and they seem to do ok in an attic above the garage all year.
Very hot in summers and cool in winters.
But they should be sealed better by securing the lid down.
Duct tape just on the sides and ends does the job.
Haven't lost a cloth Santa yet in spite of very high summer humidity.
Also have scuba gear in others that's been stored that way, too.
Lots of fabric and rubber parts.
So far so good.

I dont even leave hand guns in leather holsters in the safe.
NO WAY I store my guns for any time in those.
Now IF you need to do so buy some inexpensive padded pistol cases lube and oil the weapons add some desiccants to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rumor has it the padded pistol cases will hold moisture as do holsters.
I generously lube and wrap mine in silicone soaked cloth without much regard what containers they go into as long as there's no foam insulation.
Seems to work well.

Rumor has it the padded pistol cases will hold moisture as do holsters.

I generously lube and wrap mine in silicone soaked cloth without much regard what containers they go into as long as there's no foam insulation.

Seems to work well.

True but I generally take them out to shoot and the clean um
You know they are guns. [emoji50][emoji33]
And good desiccant is helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use those plastic tubs to store parts, but not complete guns. I can't see why they would be a problem. I've never had any trouble with rust or corrosion on anything that I oiled liberally. I do live in a damp environment.

Lubricate the guns well (I use Break Free Collector protectant on guns and parts), place a desiccant pack in there and keep the lid snapped shut.

There may be a problem if one "pads" the bottom with something like newspapers. I suspect that newspapers absorb mosture and that could be a problem.

There may be a problem if one "pads" the bottom with something like newspapers. I suspect that newspapers absorb mosture and that could be a problem.
Good point. Not only can it hold moisture, but it can wick oil away from the gun / parts. That's a problem with foam too, like in padded gun cases.

When I use these tubs, I try to avoid anything that can be absorbent (paper, cardboard, cloth, etc. To separate the parts, I use ziplock baggies and make sure everything is well oiled before sealing the ziplock.

First...are any children in the house!? Second...is this in an dry, air conditioned environment? Plastic containers only keep dust of the contents, but hold the same moisture of its environment. If this is for storing firearms for the long while, then make sure each firearm is coated with gun oil (I'm a fan of Ballistol) surrounded by a soft cloth fabric and sealed individually in a freezer Zip-Lock bag. (The oil should be removed from the chamber and bore before firing.) I would also suggest bubble wrap around each Zip-Locked firearm to prevent contact to the other firearm bags in the container. Then, there is the issue of security with potential break in! If the plastic box is in a closet, it will be the target for such break ins. Oh, and don't store firearms in their respective holster! That can produce rust and corrosion. Now that I have exhausted the possibilities and issues...security, moisture restriction and lock-down protection for your future firearm enjoyment are a must.

If you are not worried about break ins or rust I think plastic tubs would do okay for short-term storage, but I would pay a bit more and buy something a bit better designed for the job. A friend of mine bought a couple of large, I assume mil-surp, waterproof tubs at an auction recently that would work great for long-term storage. They kind of look like giant coolers with metal outer walls. I have no idea what these things were originally used for but they were waterproof and big enough to hold probably 15-20 handguns still in their plastic cases. He only gave $50 each for them which I thought was a great price.

I personally wouldn't store any of my firearms in that kind of storage container. many factors can play out and can ruin your firearm. But the number one concern is how strong those clear containers are. I personally have a few at home and they have broken on me with a few months of using and moving around the house. So I don't trust them.

I've had cloth items mold in that sort of container in less than a year kept in a moist basement garage.
Of course, a compressed leather washer handled hammer in the same garage also grew mold on the leather.

Back