Stopping power between 124 Gr & 147Gr

Kiwi

Just wonder if anyone knows the stopping power differences between Federal Hydra-Shock, 124 Gr +P+ and 147 Gr sub-sonic on an HK 94 / MP5. Like effectiveness in distences and ballistic capabilities of penetration.

Thanks

Kiwi

Although I don't have any specific statistics, I believe that the 9mm 124 gr. +P loading was intended for pistols, i.e. barrels less than 5 in. In a longer barrel, i.e. subgun, the 124 gr. +P might over expand upon impact and not get the penetration you would want. My understanding from those I talked to, is that the 147 gr. works well in longer barrels like a subgun. It gets the velocity it needs to expand reliably, and penetrates as it was intended to.

The 147 grain 9mm was developed for use by US special operations personnel who are armed with HKMP5 9mm submachine guns. The development specification called for a subsonic cartridge for use in silenced submachine guns. No one in the military was concerned with the performance of the round in pistols. I prefer to stick with 115 to 124 grain bulets in9mm Handguns.

Back