Stoeger Longfowler

Scout

So I picked up one of these guns for my kid, who is enamored of doubles. We've been shooting it a lot at the clays course over the past few months. I'm guessing 3 to 5k rounds...I haven't kept a careful count. The pluses: I love the way it swings and points. It hits where it points. It is as tight now as when we got it.( I know it's early.) The deltas: This danged thing bumps fires about 5% of the time. It has recoil operated internal hammers and a single trigger. At first, I thought it was doubling, but if you listen carefully, there is a delay between the shots. I'm pretty sure it's bump firing now and then. If it weren't for that, I'd really like this gun and buy one for myself. Has anyone heard of any fixes for this? My google searches haven't turned up anything definitive. Thanks in advance.

I consider this kind of a failure "doubling"..because its firing the second barrel without pulling the trigger. In any case, regardless what you call it - its dangerous and needs to be fixed asap.

First thing I would do is take the stock off - and clean the hammers, sears, springs, firing pins, etc .../ look for abnormal wear on the sears...where it engages when the firing pins are cocked / or significant wear on other internal components. Maybe a thorough cleaning and lube will fix it ...maybe not...

These issues can come up ...even with higher quality guns / if both barrels are set to break too close together / where most gunsmiths will recommend that the two trigger pulls be separated by about 1/2 lb..../ but it could be weak or poor quality springs, abnormal wear because of improperly hardened steel, etc.../ and in most cases, it should be looked at by a competent gunsmith if just a thorough cleaning does not fix it 100% - or if you find some non-typical wear inside.

Bump

because its firing the second barrel without pulling the trigger

Is that what is happening? I recall reading an article by Michael McIntosh about shotgun triggers in which he stated that a shotgun trigger gets pulled twice...the second is an unavoidable result of recoil and happens so quickly that the event goes unnoticed by the shooter. Doubles have a type of disconnect/reset installed so as to prevent this.

On a single trigger over under....after you fire the first barrel....you have to allow the trigger to move forward to "reset" before you can fire the 2nd barrel...

If you don't let the trigger reset...you essentially trap the trigger...and the gun won't fire ( and its a lost target / shooter error ).

Extractors? I think I much Prefer ejectors after using each type of gun. I guess for $400 that's not a deal breaker but it does slow reloading down.

Back