Stoeger 8040

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zepfan54

Inactive
Can anyone help me with this question? I just purchased a Stoeger Cougar 8040. Took it to the range yesterday and the pistol handles and shot great. Very accurate right out of the box! The issue I have is after I started cleaning it I noticed that it has a plastic guide rod! I would like to know if anyone has had a problem with this, and if it is possible to replace it with a Beretta PX4 Storm guide rod? They seem identical mechanically! All advice would be appreciated.

Plastic guide rod is not a problem. The Gen3 Glock I have now, and several other guns I've had over the years, have or have had a plastic guide rod. No need to swap it out if it's no causing problems.

I replaced the plastic guide rod/recoil spring assembly on my Beretta 8045 with a steel guide rod/spring assembly.

I got it either from Numrich or Brownells and I can't remember which. The Beretta Cougar 8040 guide rod assembly should work in the Stoeger.

But the polymer guide rod is not a problem. In fact, some folks think they are better since a slightly bent steel guide rod can bind the spring and cause failures. The steel rod adds slightly more weight to the upper which some claim tames recoil, but I surely couldn't notice any difference.

So basically the answer is no, it is not a problem. Many quality pistols now have polymer recoil spring guide rods. But if you want to change it, you might be able to find a steel rod assembly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back