stocks for a mossberg MVP

tahunua001

hello all,
I recently bought a mossberg MVP and I must say the more I get this thing cleaned up the more I am suffering from buyers remorse. the entire reason I bought it was because it was supposed to take AR15 magazines, however the tolerances are so loose that it fails to feed with curved mags because the front end dips down too far for the next round to engage the feed ramp. now I'm looking at the stock and the woodwork is so shoddy that the barrel contacts the stock on the left and has a full millimeter or more of space on the left meaning when this barrel heats up it's going to string to the left...
I have thought about contacting mossberg about the many problems I'm noticing but I'm almost wondering if I should just get a new stock as I'm not inclined to trust mossberg QC after this. anyone know if the MVP uses the same stock as other manufacturers? the entire rifle seems pretty similar to a remington 700.

I am pretty sure Mossberg will make it right. They have been very good in the past with customer service.

I have an MVP in 308 and it has been excellent in every way. In fact it has exceeded my expectations. It uses M14 and AR10 mags and works perfectly with both.

I do not have faith (yet) in the little flap of steel on the 223 MVP, but the 308 has 2 lugs that serve to pick up rounds from the mag. The lugs catch a lot of brass and the mags do not wiggle enough to make them miss. In fact the m14 mags are rock solid and don't wiggle at all.

Hope all works out well with your new toy.

me too, I've already sent a message to Mossberg listing the defects I've noticed, but I'm not expecting a reply for the next few days, in the mean time I'm looking at other options for a stock at least. if need be I can stick with straight AR mags and limit myself to 20 rounds, not like I'm going to be mowing down entire packs of coyotes at once, but the stock is a definite concern and seems a bit bulky and heavy for a rifle this size. if mossberg won't replace it then it would at least give me an excuse to get something lighter if there is anything available that is.

Do you have the wood laminate or the plastic stock?
I have the wood, and I took a block plane to it and sanded it down. It looks a lot better now and isn't so blocky.

it's the laminate. I've since had a few epiphanies. one was that I might have just been using junkie mags... well looking at the brands, the mags I was having trouble feeding from were all c product mags... switching to milsurp mags it has a lot fewer problems. still some but not nearly as bad as with the cprod. I also tried the trick of sliding a sheet of paper under the barrel between the stock, I can slide it all the way to about an inch from the receiver so I guess it's not nearly as tight on the one side as it appears... it might actually be something I could fix with a little sandpaper if I do have stringing with a hot barrel.

still would like some info on replacement stocks for future reference though.

So, the buyer chooses a price point rifle and then feels the need to spend $100+ to replace the stock? Doesn't seem like a good price point purchase to me.
C-Prod mags have worked fine in my AR platform rifles-maybe NOT as "junkie" as described. In addition, the "need" for a 30 round mag in a bolt action borders on questionable. Sure, a detachable mag has it's advantages but a 30 round mag is nothing short of (deleted).

you my friend have never played with the Ruger American rimfire... high caps are nice... just load one up and you're good for a whole day of grouse hunting. a thirty rounder for a centerfire is just as nice for a long day of target shooting as well, less reloads. also, there's no rule that says you have to shoot them all in one sitting or load them full to begin with but it would be nice if a gun advertises that it can use a mag, that it actually to perform as claimed. as for griping about a pricepoint and upgrade... yes a person could spend an extra $200 and get a gun with a nice stock to begin with but currently there are no guns in that price range that claim to accept AR15 magazines. the whole purpose of this purchase was because I have ample supply of magazines already.

took it out yesterday... the gun itself is pretty darn accurate, shooting 1 inch groups with milsurp and similarly with handloads, however I had issues feeding with all mags including milsurp 30 rounders, cprod 20 rounder, and the factory 10 rounder... regardless of the stock, this thing is going back to meet it's maker.

still looking for info on stocks.

Back