stock recommendation for Rem 700 youth model

My son broke the stock on his Remington 700 youth model. This was going to be his last year hunting with it anyway as he is now at 12 years old, 5'11" with the arms of a 6'3" person according to the finger tip to finger tip is your height method. But he wants to replace the stock and hunt with it for sentimental reasons. Will a full size stock fit the youth model gun? Is there a decent full size stock out there for it that won't cost more than the gun originally cost?

Thanks,
Trav

Full size stocks will interchange.

You could buy a full size synthetic directly from Remington. My guess is less than $100. On an aftermarket stock one of the Bell and Carlson Medalist stocks would be a decent bargain and probably my choice on a budget. For me, I'd spend the money for a McMillan Edge and have a lifetime investment.

If you don't mind plywood the Boyds stocks tend to be decent, but quite heavy.

Hogue stocks look ok to me, but I've never used one on a rifle. I do use their shotgun stock and revolver grips.
A 700 youth model could be a long or short action, and an ADL or a BDL.

I used to buy the Rem 700 "plastic" factory stocks for $25 delivered.
If the kid could manage to "break" the original, do you really want to spend $100 on a replacement???????????????????

it was broken when he laid it in the trail to answer the call of nature while waiting for me to come pick him up. I ran over the butt and it broke.

Also on the gun, it only says Remington 700, no ADL, BDL or any other designation. It has no removable or hinge clip. It can only be loaded from the top. This is a what's called a blind magazine, right?

An M700 is an M700. The difference between a Youth model and a big kid's model is the LOP of the stock(that doesn't sound like it'd be Youth anyway) and usually the chambering. No Youth model currently listed on Remington's site.
"...blind magazine..." Yep. Difference between an ADL and BDL is that the BDL had the hinged floor plate. Same rifle otherwise. So your son's is an ADL. Only matters for the stock, but the action length matters a lot.
Suggest you not buy from Remington if money matters. Their price for a stock starts at $137.72. Boyd's runs $129.
Bob's Gun Shop(closed until 18 Jan) will probably be a lot less. Gunparts has assorted M700 stocks starting at under $100.

Thanks T.O.

Anything based off of a .308 is a short action so the 7mm-08 is a short action, right?

So based off of what you told me, his is a short action ADL

It definitely has a shorter stock and barrel than an adult gun. It has an even shorter stock now, ha-ha.

if I do a Google search for Remington 700 youth model 7mm-08
the Remington web site page for his gun is the first to come up, but I can not access it from work.

gander mountain

http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...el-700-SPS-Youth-LH-Centerfire-Rifle&i=417213

sportsman's guide

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...mm-08-centerfire-4-1-round-capacity?a=1783686

"...the 7mm-08 is a short action..." Hi. Yep. Same case. Same OAL.
If he's mutated to 5' 11" at 12(knew a set of twins in grade school who went 6 feet at 13.) he doesn't need a 'youth' anything. Best you give him a budget and let him choose though.

T.O. We are buying a new full size bolt action for regular use. He just wanted to keep the 7mm-08 because it was his very first gun. DirtCheap.com has original 700 ADL stocks in camo for $53. I ordered one last Friday. Thanks for all of ya'lls help.

And, yes, he is 5'11". He has grown 1.5" since September. He wears a 14 EEEE shoe that he just told us this weekend is too small. By next October, I will have to buy him a new bow. The Mission Craze, a great bow, will only extend out to a 30" draw length.

replacement stock came in.

the new camo stock came in last night from DirtCheap.com. It is a real Remington stock. It looks identical to the old one except that it's camo. It even came in a green Remington box. The fit and finish of the stock is great. It even came with two sets of the sling connectors that screw into the stock, one black set and one camo set. The recoil pad is a little different than the one on the original stock, it looks like it will be better. It was quick and easy to switch out the stocks. I did notice that the new stock is lighter weight than the old stock. Its lighter than just the part that was still attached. The original stock broke right in the skinny part of the stock that fits in your trigger hand. When taking the old stock off, I noticed that there were folded up sheets of Styrofoam in the stock butt. I am assuming that these were there to dampen sound when the stock gets bumped. I took them out and put them in the new stock. It did make a big difference.

All that to say I am very pleased with the stock with the quick delivery and cost from DirtCheap.com.

Back