Stock Questions...

AllenJ

Two years ago I had a rifle built. It is a Ruger M77 Mark II short action rebarrelled with a Shilen select grade #4 contour barrel, Timney trigger, and Hogue full bed block overmolded stock. The gunsmith who did the work also trued the action. Since day one with this rifle I've not been able to get consistent MOA groups. I have tried multiple bullet and powder combinations, and I have even sorted sized cases by weight and headspace trying to get better groups. The rifle typically shoots 1.5-2.0 MOA but the weird thing is that at least two of three shots are usually touching. Five shot groups are about the same in that either 2 or 3 holes are very close or touching, and one or two shots are off by over an inch. I have let other known good shots shoot the rifle and they are getting the same results. I'm guessing that the Hogue stock may be the issue and am thinking I'll get a Bell and Carlson and have the action bedded this time. Before I do this though I'm hoping to get some opinions in case my guess is wrong :confused:

I would get a Boyd's stock and bed it in unless you just want a B&C. What ammo are you using when you get the flyers?

I reload most all my ammo. The only factory stuff I've put through this rifle was Winchester Power Point, and they gave same results....2 touching one flyer. I really think this points to a bedding problem but want more opinions to confirm it for me.

Did you have the barrel floated in this gun? You ought to be able to slide a 3 X 5 card from under the barrel, at the front of the forearm, to the rear of the barrel, at the receiver, if so.

I don't think replacing the stock is likely to help. While I don't like the Hogue stocks they shoot as good as anything, especially the ones with the full bedding block. You can spend more on another stock, but I'd check to be sure the one you have is fitting correctly. If something is putting pressure somewhere that it is not supposed to this can cause your problem. If it is a stock problem it can be fixed a lot easier and cheaper than buying new.

The angled action screw makes Rugers a little different to get bedded right. Not that it is a bad system, it is just different and not every gunsmith is good at it.

Now if you just want something different, I know I would, then you can try something different. The Ruger factory stocks are as good as any, wood or synthetic, and I'd much prefer one to the Hogue. If not factory I'd go McMillan or nothing else.

I don't have a torque wrench to test with but do use blue locktite when replacing the screws. Rugers need/like a lot of torque on the front screw so it gets it. The rear screw gets tightened but not near as much. Neither has backed out or seems to loosen since I started using the locktite.

The barrel is free floating. The smith had it so a single bill could slide down the channel, I opened it up so card stock slides freely down it.

jrm40, after posting the OP I did some research and came to about the same conclusion, I can just bed the Hogue to see if that helps rather than spending money on a new stock.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Last edited:
Update...

I finally screwed up enough courage to bed the action into the Hogue stock. I read the link above and watch 30 or so YouTube videos, purchased the needed supplies and went for it. I was mostly afraid of welding the action to the stock but when it was dry it popped right out. I am pleased to say the difference in how the rifle is shooting is like night and day. Out of 4 groups two were sub MOA and the other two groups, which were still under 2 MOA were me not doing my job.

Thank you all for you help on this matter, I'm so glad I finally have this rifle shooting like I dreamed it would.

Internet forums are a WONDERFUL thing...:D

When I first got into gunstock duplication, one of the members here took quite a bit of time (off-forum) to give me a lot of pointers to get me started.

Great to hear- now that you've got the first one under your belt- just think how easy the rest are going to be!

Funny you should mention that. While pondering if I should do the bedding job or have it done those devious people at Midway put a B&C Carbelite on clearance........and I just could not resist. Now I'm feeling confident enough to fit and bed it myself!

Now I'm feeling confident enough to fit and bed it myself!
Bedding rifles is relatively easy as long as you take your time and use lots of release agent and plugs, tape, etc to keep the bedding compound out of places it doesn't belong.

The good news is if you mess it up, a dremel tool will remove it and you can try again

It doesn't take much to "hang up" the action, for sure.

I like to bed the barrel nut on my Savages with the action. I forgot to put the plumbers putty in the narrow recesses for the barrel wrench below the woodline...narrow and small as they were,epoxy in any reverse-angle will lock it up like a drum.

Yes, mechanical lock is the silent killer. I always keep an eye on it whenever I bed. When it happens, you mostly certainly can't get out without destroying something.

-TL

When it happens, you mostly certainly can't get out without destroying something.
If you can put the gun in a freezer it will often shrink the metal enough to pop it out, assuming you haven't filled too many holes you shouldn't have

Back